• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 stages of a zinc cent set

29 posts in this topic

Interesting item- A zinc blank, planchet, and copper plated planchet. Seems to have been given by the mint directly to the grading service as there are 300 sets (numbered) with the same 3 coins in them. CCS sells the popular-numbered ones at higher prices, like 1/300 and 100/300. Linky

Link to pic is of all 3 is here.

Most everything I have seen slabbed by Numistrust Corp is junk.

I agree, I have a Roosevelt graded MS68 and you would be lucky to get MS63 from PCGS or NGC.

True, they are a 3rd teir grading service, and the graded coins are usually off. These coins, however, are not sold for the grade. In fact, they are not graded.

I agree, I have a Roosevelt graded MS68 and you would be lucky to get MS63 from PCGS or NGC.

True, they are a 3rd teir grading service, and the graded coins are usually off. These coins, however, are not sold for the grade. In fact, they are not graded.

You could buy the coins not slabbed and raw cheaper!!

+1

I have purchased only a couple of NTC slabs. One was an "MS67" Eisenhower Dollar that realistically grades MS64-MS64+. I paid $3 (including shipping for it) and I broke it out with the intent to use it in an album. Noow, NTC slabs carry NO premium. In fact, I think that an NTC slab actually hurts a coin's liquidity. When I see an NTC slabbed coin, I usually think "problem coin" with an off chance that it could be counterfeit.

+1

I have purchased only a couple of NTC slabs. One was an "MS67" Eisenhower Dollar that realistically grades MS64-MS64+. I paid $3 (including shipping for it) and I broke it out with the intent to use it in an album. Noow, NTC slabs carry NO premium. In fact, I think that an NTC slab actually hurts a coin's liquidity. When I see an NTC slabbed coin, I usually think "problem coin" with an off chance that it could be counterfeit.

I did not claim that NTC slabs carried a premium (of course they don't) and the coins in the photos are not graded. I doubt they are problem/counterfeit but you can believe what you want.

Noow, my understanding of the purpose of the "Money Marketplace" is that it is for forum members to sell coins they own. You only post links to some other site. I find it inappropriate and it bogs down this area of the forums. If you personally don't have anything to sell, I'd appreciate if you would stop posting links to "The Cheap Slab Store" or whatever it is.

Thanks, brg

Noow, my understanding of the purpose of the "Money Marketplace" is that it is for forum members to sell coins they own. You only post links to some other site. I find it inappropriate and it bogs down this area of the forums. If you personally don't have anything to sell, I'd appreciate if you would stop posting links to "The Cheap Slab Store" or whatever it is.

Thanks, brg

Agreed.

Thanks, brg

Agreed.

Agreed also.

Cheaper raw? Someone please direct me to the link :)

www.ebay.com - use basic Google style search operators and key words and voila!

Search: 3 stages of a zinc cent

1. Your key words are too limited.

2. You appear to be searching for whole sets and you can piece together your own sets for substantially less.

3. The price appears to be inflated because of the slab, which as was previously discussed, is worthless.

2. You appear to be searching for whole sets and you can piece together your own sets for substantially less.

3. The price appears to be inflated because of the slab, which as was previously discussed, is worthless.

Please, then, direct me to a link or tell me proper search keywords.

Please, then, direct me to a link or tell me proper search keywords.

I used key words such as "zinc blank," "blank planchet," etc. Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Errors-1-Zinc-Cu-Plated-Zinc-Copper-T2-Cent-Blanks-/160593029287?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item25641728a7 for $16

You get 2/3 of the coins and with more time (i.e. longer than 30 seconds) you could likely find the third piece.

Thanks coinman. I think though that finding a blank without the rim would be a challenge as that T1s are less abundant and more pricey.

ebay 280795082395

closes in 2 days currently under $5

'cent blank' search works well

Thanks for the tip, however I already own a blank cent.