• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Walker variety discovered?

4 posts in this topic

I received my CD of hi-res photos from Todd of BluCC and was looking at them in super fine detail. The photo he took of my 1945-S Walker revealed to me that it is missing the designer's initials. There is definitely no "AW" there. I can sort of make out an "AW" shadow. Maybe it's my mind trying to see something that should be there, but isn't. It's not listed in my Cherry Picker's Guide (Fourth Edition), nor is it listed at NGC's Coin Explorer website.

Since I didn't notice this when I bought it, it wasn't cherry picked. I've never been a variety guy.....until now.

46-600-x-480.jpg

1945s-no-aw.jpg

It looks like the die was worn or filled with something if you ask me. I'm not sure that I would consider this a major "variety" but i would leave that determination to others with more experience with the series.

Edited to add: It could also just be a weak strike (notice the initials are in low relief); I see what appears to be weakness on other areas of the coin as well.

I believe this has been known to happen on many walkers already. The walker boooks discuss such occurences. I believe there is a proof with this variety as well but not much premium is added?

Not unusual on WL halves. The monogram was raised on the die and was subject to considerable abrasion. Your coin looks like the monogram is not quite missing.