• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning/Luster Question

14 posts in this topic

This one has me stumped....

1886P_1.JPG

1886P_2.JPG

I've never seen a coin with this kind of toning. How do you tell if it's been cleaned if you can't see the luster?

Looks like a MS64 to me. I see some marks on the cheek.... I think.

Thoughts?

Bryan

This one has me stumped....

I've never seen a coin with this kind of toning. How do you tell if it's been cleaned if you can't see the luster?

Looks like a MS64 to me. I see some marks on the cheek.... I think.

Thoughts?

Bryan

If you cannot see the luster, then that is a good indication that the coin may have been cleaned. Regardless a lack of luster precludes a mint state grade. In addition to breaks in luster (which can also be due to circulation- cleaning usually is revealed by larger patches of no luster), hairlines are another indicator that a coin has been cleaned.

If you cannot see the luster, then that is a good indication that the coin may have been cleaned. Regardless a lack of luster precludes a mint state grade. In addition to breaks in luster (which can also be due to circulation- cleaning usually is revealed by larger patches of no luster), hairlines are another indicator that a coin has been cleaned.

What are hairlines?

What are hairlines?

Wait I think I see them on the Reverse to the left and right of the eagle....

the lines on the left of the eagle are either die polish lines or cleaning lines

die polish lines were made at the mint, on the die before striking of the coin

- the lines would be raised from the surface of the coin

- they usually are on the fields (flat areas) and go under the devices (raised areas)

you need to see what the lines do near the leaves on the branch

hairlines are usually handling issues - small nicks or crease marks on the surface

toning like that is common from coins in a holder or album for a few years

luster and grade for coin best evaluated rotating coin while looking with a magnifying glass or loupe

if you are just going off that picture, pass or buy at melt -

I wasn't implying that I saw hairlines here. I was saying that if a coin has its luster impeded in large patches (usually acquiring a darker area when rotated void of luster) or if it has hairlines, then those are indications that it was likely cleaned.

This is the sort of coin that you can’t evaluate properly from one set of photographs. In fact you probably can’t evaluate it at all with just photographs; you have to see it in person.

If you swirl the coin under a strong light, and “cartwheel” type of rolling luster shows on both sides with no breaks, chances are the coin is some level of Mint State. The lines to the left of the eagle that others have noted appear to be raised to me, but that can’t be confirmed without a personal examination. If they are raised they are die polish marks and will have no affect upon the grade. If they are into the surface of the coin, they are cleaning marks, which is not good. That indicates that an abrasive was used to strip the surface of the piece. If it is severe, it would take the coin to a “no grade” situation.