• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884 CC Big Denticle Hit

14 posts in this topic

Needing to use my 5 submission cert soon, looking at some of my original purchases and found this 84 CC GSA. Although she is fairly clean from the normal hits, she has one major hit close to her chin. Those denticle hits are quite pronounced.

Seeing how deep they are, would she grade or be detailed? Thanks for your thoughts.

Chet

119074.jpg.a4f907b09058d3b69a550eb2e5f30a88.jpg

119075.jpg.f6a2beda20883ae4eb4b4875ab3654e3.jpg

119076.jpg.2d4b846fde07a2293e02afcd950ffbfe.jpg

I don't see how the reed marks would prevent grading, but they will obviously lower the grade. I would be more concerned about if they consider those lines on the chin and jawline to be scratches or not. Hard to tell from the pics.

Are you sure those are denticle hits or is that just the way the coin is held in the holder? Get out your loupe and take a closer look at those. On the grade, that's an easy MS64, if you can ignore what's going on around that lovely kisser. I'll say she'll market grade at MS63 for that.

I think the coin will be come back in a graded holder; however, I think it will be market graded. Sans the deep scars on Miss Liberty's face, I could see the coin grading as high as MS64; however, due to the severity/depth of the gashes, I'm thinking that it will be penalized a full point or two.

I think the coin will be come back in a graded holder; however, I think it will be market graded. Sans the deep scars on Miss Liberty's face, I could see the coin grading as high as MS64; however, due to the severity/depth of the gashes, I'm thinking that it will be penalized a full point or two.

I agree, except I see the coin as a technical MS63, and although the TPG s are usually a bit easier on CC mint marks, the Obverse hits in prime focal ares will bring a 1 - 2 grade point penalty. Solid MS64 Reverse.

MS62 at best. Not a good investment for submission IMHO.

Carl

Needing to use my 5 submission cert soon, looking at some of my original purchases and found this 84 CC GSA. Although she is fairly clean from the normal hits, she has one major hit close to her chin. Those denticle hits are quite pronounced.

Seeing how deep they are, would she grade or be detailed? Thanks for your thoughts.

Chet

Here I go again, showing my lack of ability.

I see the "hits" as something else entirely, and very attractive.

I personally do not consider them "hits", in the normal use of the word.

Same comments for the nose.

Is that a Clash on the reverse?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John

I thought that myself. The denticle hits are so defined and deep makes the coin somewhat unique. In hand, she looks very clean except for those deep hits. Purchased her from the GSA sales in the 70's. Doubt I will submit which leaves me sending in only 2 GSA's for the 5 count cert. I have quite a few CC and non CC GSA's but most are MS63 and I really don't see the need to grade. No help registery wise..

JerseyCat questioned those "scratches". Those are planchet striations which are somewhat common with CC GSA's. As for the clashes, yes, she has a few. She is a Vam3A which includes a reverse wreath clash, spiked wing, slight N clash on neck and lower cap counter clash on the obverse. Thanks for all of your comments.

Chet