• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I request for a new variety?

12 posts in this topic

I have been looking VERY closely at my proof Rosy dimes and I think I've found a variety that has yet to be discovered. The only way that I can think of to get it verified and recognized is to get in touch w/ Messers Stanton and/or Fivas. Does anyone know how I go about doing this?

Steven

Just checked their master listing and several aren't there. I'm a proof Rosey collector. I've got two '74-S dimes with DDO characteristics and I would like to see if they're true, verifyable, honest-to-god Doubled dies and not double strikes.

I would take pictures and post them but it's really difficult to get something that small to come out.

Yeah, with something that small, you need a camera with a macro lens or a stereomicroscope with a camera attachment.

As a general rule, machine doubling (aka, mechanical doubling or strike doubling) will appear to be flat and shelf-like. True hub doubling will often appear rounded like the surface of the device and letters and numbers will often have split serifs.

We'd really need good photos to be sure.

Chris

You need to contact James Wiles (you can find his data at the CONECA website). He attributes all 20th century varieties for them, and if it is significant enough he will add it to their database (and credit your discovery). I have done this with a couple of my Franklins, and was lucky enough to have discovered a new variety.

the problem with proofs is they are all double struck - many times small machine doubling or shifting occurs

the only proof varieties of real value are ones seen with naked eye

back to your question - you need to start with CONECA

pics would be helpful, but may not be possible for you

the problem with proofs is they are all double struck - many times small machine doubling or shifting occurs

I wonder if "real value" trumpws numismatic interest and pursuit of knowledge?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I wonder if "real value" trumpws numismatic interest and pursuit of knowledge?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, it depends on what your goals are. For me, no amount of money could part me with my discovery DDR. Many people would feel differently.

If there's the same doubling on both the mint mark and the date, it's strike doubling. In 1974 (and in general before roughly 1989, I think) the mint mark was added to the die after the die was already hubbed. Technically, you could have a RPM that matched the die doubling, but I've never heard of this actually happening.