• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for help with a technical grade...

11 posts in this topic

The sharpness grade is AU-50 (going by the obverse; the reverse may be EF-45.) but the surfaces look like they have been brushed with lots of hairlines. This might be the result of a photo that show more than is really there, so it might not be a problem. There also appears to be depression on the check which is probably damage. This might be the reason why the eagle’s neck in flat on the reverse, but I’ve see the coin in person to determine that.

This date is noted for have depressions on the cheek from some substance, perhaps dirt adhering to the obverse die. This appears to more than that.

I’d say the net grade on this piece is somewhere in the Choice VF to EF level. I might have a different take if I saw the coin in person.

Here is an AU-55 that is in my collection.

1838C250R.jpg1838C250O.jpg

The depression on the cheek is a planchet flaw (I've seen it replicated exactly on other examples of this issue).

It appears by consensus that on a technical basis it would be fair to call this coin at least a VF-35?

If there has been a mild cleaning (consequently preventing grading), how does one estimate a fair market value?

So, chime in... how much "might" she be worth?

The depression on the cheek is a planchet flaw (I've seen it replicated exactly on other examples of this issue).

It appears by consensus that on a technical basis it would be fair to call this coin at least a VF-35?

If there has been a mild cleaning (consequently preventing grading), how does one estimate a fair market value?

So, chime in... how much "might" she be worth?

45 to me. $2K minimum.

Thoughts on a technical grade?

I don't think you are asking what you think you are asking. A technical grade would necessarily take off for the hairlines, weak strike, and the planchet flaw - it would be grading based solely on its technical merits. I agree with James, a technical grade would max out at VF-30.

What you are asking for is a commercial, or market grade - the grade that a TPG would give you. They would be more likely EF-45 to AU-50.

Technical grade?? As in an EAC-style grade? If so, then I would be around VF-30 or so.

Commercially, it looks darned close to AU, if not an AU-50.

I'm with you on the technical merits. Maybe a mid-EF on the market grade wouldn't be too generous.