• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you giving Coins for Christmas??

25 posts in this topic

So the only person I'm giving coins to this year is my step-dad. He collects coins, not to the extent of most of us, and then alot of his collection consists of novelty coins. I buy 2 of the SAE Proofs the last couple years and decided to send him my extra 2011 proof this year. I don't think he's ever seen one so I thought it would be nice. So are any of you sending coins to anyone in your family or friends? Just kind of wondered!

Every year I get my daughters silver pandas for Christmas and SAEs for their birthdays. Ive tried to promote coin collecting to the younger members (nephews) by sending them coins.. didnt work. My one nephew asks for more Pittsburgh Steeler cards. ha ha ha..

I will be sending one of my sets of the 25th anniversary sets of ASE to my dad this year...it will by far be the best coin gift I have ever given but it seemed like fate this year.

My brother is getting a 25th Anniv. ASE set. He will get it in the Mint Box sealed so he can decide if he wants to send it in for grading or not. I will make a copy of my Cert. from the one set I have and put it into his card with a note that say's open me first with an NGC form to fill out if he wants it graded. I might even fill it out for him to make it easier?

Every year I get my daughters silver pandas for Christmas and SAEs for their birthdays. Ive tried to promote coin collecting to the younger members (nephews) by sending them coins.. didnt work. My one nephew asks for more Pittsburgh Steeler cards. ha ha ha..

Who knows after the National Parks are done maybe the mint will start promoting sports teams.

We pull one name among siblings and spouses. Only my sister is a fellow collector. I had her name last year and she got a 2010 ASE in MS70 and a 20th anniversary set of ASE's in OGP. She wishes I'd pull her name every year. Sorry, didn't get you this year Sis.

We pull one name among siblings and spouses. Only my sister is a fellow collector. I had her name last year and she got a 2010 ASE in MS70 and a 20th anniversary set of ASE's in OGP. She wishes I'd pull her name every year. Sorry, didn't get you this year Sis.

Wow your sister cleaned up last year.

I gave my current ATF (All Time Favorite) who I have been seeing over three years some coins when we metup today as she likes to give coin collector relatives these for xmas. She is not a coin collector and currently is a paralegal (she danced at a club where I am VIP, where we met in 2008). She is 30, highly intelligent, very personable (was a cheerleader in HS), and currently pursuing a law degree. She has been a perfect fit for the kind of arrangement we were both seeking.

I showed her 20 coins I had in an NGC storage box (selected from my inventory) with retail prices marked on them and told her she could pick out a certain dollar value worth. Like me she likes coins half dollar size or larger with lots of luster (untoned). She also likes coins with historical significance but prefers mods. She picked out a 1986 PCGS 69 DC Statue of Liberty Half Dollar (for herself), 2006-S San Francisco Dollar NGC 69 UC, 1981-S SBA Dollar PCGS 69 DC (her birth year, a coin she will keep for herself), and a 1937-D Buffalo Nickel NGC MS 64. The coins she did not pick for herself will be xmas gifts to relatives who are interested in coins. I like it when synergy from one hobby can benefit another.

The goal of my coin business has been to finance my other hobbies and interests as my primary business is in Financial Management (Oil and Gas Industry).

I was thinking about getting myself a nicely uncirculated 1912 S Liberty Nickel for Christmas. hm

I guess for now, it's the thought that counts :(

Merry Christmas

OP

Couple of the gifts we decided on were quarter proof sets in OGP from the mint from 2004, 2005, and 2006 to some of my son's 4th grade friends.

May also put a few of the 2004 nickel sets in full OGP as well.

Bought too many and rather than just continuing to sit on them and having them do nothing, we decided to give them away to some young'uns that have shown an interest in the past few years.

in fact, I have two late-date large cents wrapped for my brother. I've had them since March...gotta buy them when they go up for sale otherwise he'd end up with a gift card to some place he likely doesn't want to visit.

in fact, I have two late-date large cents wrapped for my brother. I've had them since March...gotta buy them when they go up for sale otherwise he'd end up with a gift card to some place he likely doesn't want to visit.

Hey bro! you still have my address? ;)

What a nice brother you are to give some large cents :)

Ha - I am giving a set of silver proofs to my daughters boyfriend for Christmas... they have been dating for about 3 years now, and it seems serious enough to be worthwhile giving him something like that.... Of course, except for myself, he's the only one in the family with the coin bug!