• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rub? what is it?

12 posts in this topic

Is there any difference between "rub" and "slight wear"?

I've heared a coin with rub occasionally gets into MS holder while a coin with slight wear is always AU...is it easy to tell the difference between them?

How about cabinet friction? Is it wear?

My view is that they are similar in that they are both wear on the high points of the coin, it's more a matter of the source of the wear. Slight wear on an AU coin comes from very limited circulation, whereas a rub may come from improper handling over time by collectors on what is in reallity a coin that did not circulate (similar to cabinet friction). I view both as wear, but I also view them a bit differently, as do the grading services. Whether PCGS or NGC or any of the services grade the coin AU-58 or MS-61 or MS-62 (I've seen a lot of what I consider great looking AU coins in these MS grades) is somewhat of a hit or miss proposition in my opinion. This is especially true for gold coins, given the softness of the metal (I have more experience with this, as I collect mainly gold right now). But ultimately, the coin is what it is, and it does create some bargain opportunities for very attractive coins in AU holders. Those are my thoughts, and other may have different opinions or more technically learned ideas on the topic.

Toyo,

You will hear the term "rub", "cabinet friction", "slide" applied to coins that are regarded as Uncirculated yet may have been improperly stored in old coin cabinets (thus the phrase cabinet friction). Because the coin never actually circulated it will still be described as uncirculated. A coin that circulates will not only have wear on the highest points, but throughout the fields as well. This will show up on the coin as abrasions in the field caused by the coin having been in a pocket or purse.

Be sure to look not only at the high points but also the fields of the coin in determining whether or not a coin is new. You will encounter this alot with the Half Dimes you are collecting due to the way they were stored by collectors in the 19th Century.

Rick

Thank you for replies.

But most of low MS(60-61) coins have many bag marks/ hairlines/hits/hairlines and they look as if they were circulated from the fields.

On the other hand, I have seen some AU58s with very clean surfaces whitch have look of MS if not for the slight wear on the highest points( And I often miss the wear if it was't already in a AU holder)

If you saw a coin with clean surface with very slight wear, is it easy for you to tell if it's AU or MS with rub?

On the other hand, I have seen some AU58s with very clean surfaces whitch have look of MS if not for the slight wear on the highest points( And I often miss the wear if it was't already in a AU holder)

If you saw a coin with clean surface with very slight wear, is it easy for you to tell if it's AU or MS with rub?

Welcome to grading hell smirk.gif I'm in the same boat with you. I'll bet some of my "MS" Walkers and Morgans would probably end up in the 58 category if the pros got a hold of them....

This is a fact of life. Lower graded MS coins are often heavly marred with bag marks, hairlines and surface ticks. Whereas AU58 coins are often nicer than these MS60/62 coins. Large coin sized gold issues are particularlysuseptable to bag marks and slides. This is why several collectors on this board collect AU58 coins for their sets. They are a good compromise.

I also have several AU55/58 coins in my Type Sets. I can afford to buy lower grade MS coins, but they are not very pretty coins. This is why I purchase AU58 coins to fit these slots in my sets.

I have gotten used to this happening. Couple of my sets were #1 for many moons. Now, some of these older sets are down as low as #13. I am on disability income and can not keep up monetarily with many of the Forum members. However, I still get great enjoyment out of my collection and that is the main point of building these sets. tongue.gif

Somehow I doubt either of us would enjoy our sets as much if we were only trying to get that one extra point on the holder. I have many AU gold coins that I find just as appealing as MS-65s, and I am very proud to have them in my collection, especially given what I paid for them! grin.gif