• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1614 German Teutonic Order Doppeltaler

12 posts in this topic

This just arrived from Germany. A 1614 German Teutonic Order Doppeltaler (TWO Thaler)!

teutonic2tobv.jpgteutonic2trev.jpg

It's big and heavy. It's 46mm in size and according to the postage scale in my office, it weighs 2.05 ounces.

The marks around the rim on the reverse are minor planchet flaws. It doesn't appear to have even been mounted.

I've got a 1/4T on the way, a 1T, and now this 2T. If anyone knows of any *nice condition* ones like this as a 1/2T, 3T (kilppe) or 4T, please let me know!

Very, very nice Greg 893applaud-thumb.gif Thalers don't usually ring my bells - but there's something about the knights & horses designs that just - well - I like 'em cloud9.gif

Great coin! I'm glad the marks near the edges were nothing more than planchet flaws.

Here's my coin featuring the same guy on the front of Greg's: Maximillian III, Archduke of Austria, Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order (Deutchemeister in German!) and Duke of Styria:

482274-Archduke.JPG

And here's an engraving of Max himself:

482276-m369426a.jpg

Max was the son of HRE Maximillian II and the brother of Emperor Mathius. Unfortunately most of the material I can find on Archduke Max is in German and incomprehensible to me.

-JamminJ

Thanks! Since this coin arrived, I've picked up the 1/4T & 1/2T of the same design. Both are in superb condition. I'll post them when they get back from NGC.

A very impressive coin.

What is the best reference book for fifteenth through seventeenth century Thalers? I have a 1590 Saxony Thaler and would be interested in its "rarity", but I would guess rarity is measured by type, and not by year for Thalers. I would also be interested on minting processes for these coins especially the big 2 to 5 Thalers.

Bill

What is the best reference book for fifteenth through seventeenth century Thalers? I have a 1590 Saxony Thaler and would be interested in its "rarity", but I would guess rarity is measured by type, and not by year for Thalers. I would also be interested on minting processes for these coins especially the big 2 to 5 Thalers.

You can get a Krause that covers the 17th century. The book is by far nowhere near complete. However, it will give you an idea of rarity and price. Just be aware that the prices for these coins can vary wildly. I've seen a worse grade and mounted 1T example of this type sell for 50% more than I paid for mine. I've seen a lower grade damaged 2T sell for almost the same price as mine (which I purchased for maybe 1/3 of XF catalog price).

For 16th century thalers you'll need to look at Davenport books. They are out of print, but can be found for sale rather frequently. They aren't cheap. He also has a book that includes 15th century thalers (1484-1600), but there aren't too many in the 15th century.

As for the minting process, I don't know of any book that talks about this. It's something that I would be very interested in along with knowing why the coin was made.

Thanks Greg.

I have heard "The Art and Craft of Coinmaking" is a great book, written by Denis Cooper, the chief engineer at the London Royal Mint. It covers minting from ancient to modern. This is the next numis. book I will read.

Bill

I believe there is one Davenport book still being printed - at least I was able to buy a new one on the Krause web site for about $30. It is the Third Edition - Large Size Silver Coins of the World 16th - 19th Centuries

I'm attending the ANA seminar at this very moment, and last night in the Crowns and Thalers mini seminar there was a counterfeit of the one thaler version of this coin available for examinations. It was pretty easy to spot as it was cast and very underweight.

-JamminJ