• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 O/CC Morgan (12/9/11: New pictures added)

21 posts in this topic

AU 50 cleaned.

You can tell, b/c the luster has been diminished and there is no cartwheel effect in those fields.

They are 'shiny' but the luster is dull and muted instead of reflective and bouncing or curving.---The way that they would be from the interaction of the original coin planchet and the coin dies.

No need to be sorry sir!

Educated the newbie please! How can you tell?

Get yourself a run of the mill melt value original morgan and polish it and see what it looks like. That's the best advice I can give on how to tell what a polished coin looks like. Find one with original luster that is a common date and look at it in several different lighting situations and then grab some silver polish and go to town on one side or both and look at the difference.

If you were near me I have a bunch of examples I could show you.. :makepoint:

No offense intended, Bryan, but if you are buying these coins raw on SleazeBay, you're making a big mistake. There are just too many sellers who think nothing of pawning off problem coins on uneducated buyers. So far, many of those you have posted here appear to have been improperly cleaned, messed with in some way or have photos that tend to hide or minimize problems. It would be a good idea to avoid buying raw coins until you have learned to identify problem coins from less than adequate photos.

Despite the fact that you can return the coins, it will still cost you the unnecessary expense of return postage. It all adds up! This O/CC has some traces of what looks like a greenish tinge around the eagle's neck & talons and in Liberty's hair which should have been a red flag for you anyway. So, you should have asked yourself why, if it weren't a problem coin, hasn't it already been certified?

Chris

No offense intended, Bryan, but if you are buying these coins raw on SleazeBay, you're making a big mistake. There are just too many sellers who think nothing of pawning off problem coins on uneducated buyers. So far, many of those you have posted here appear to have been improperly cleaned, messed with in some way or have photos that tend to hide or minimize problems. It would be a good idea to avoid buying raw coins until you have learned to identify problem coins from less than adequate photos.

Despite the fact that you can return the coins, it will still cost you the unnecessary expense of return postage. It all adds up! This O/CC has some traces of what looks like a greenish tinge around the eagle's neck & talons and in Liberty's hair which should have been a red flag for you anyway. So, you should have asked yourself why, if it weren't a problem coin, hasn't it already been certified?

Chris

Hey Chris,

I see what you're saying. Buying a raw coin on eBay is mostly a sin. I have found two sellers that sell problem-free raw coins: hallelujah*coins and

29957blue .

I want to learn more. So, I bought these two books this week: Official Numismatic Grading Standards For all U.S.Coins and MorgaSilver Dollar Red Book Price Guide (2nd Ed). New.

If there is anything you can pass on to me, Please do.

I'd rather be out a few bucks shipping then be out $$$.

Thanks for your insight sir!

Bryan

PS: No offense taken sir! :grin:

Chris

Hey Chris,

I see what you're saying. Buying a raw coin on eBay is mostly a sin. I have found two sellers that sell problem-free raw coins: hallelujah*coins and

29957blue .

I want to learn more. So, I bought these two books this week: Official Numismatic Grading Standards For all U.S.Coins and MorgaSilver Dollar Red Book Price Guide (2nd Ed). New.

Bryan

Please don't call me "Sir". I was enlisted!

I don't know if you have the opportunity to attend any decent-sized shows, but the best thing you could do is to study certified coins to see how they are supposed to look.

For example, cartwheel luster under a light will radiate around the coin (like a wagonwheel) as you tilt it up-and-down and from side-to-side. Generally, in a photo, you should be able to see one or more rays (depending on the number of lights used) extending from the center of the coin toward the rim. If there doesn't appear to be any luster, the first thing you have to consider is that maybe the photo is a scan. Scans don't often show luster, but you can generally tell a scan from a photo if the background hasn't been altered by software.

Another thing to consider is that photos taken at an angle instead of directly over the subject tend to hide some flaws. To see what I mean, take some photos at an angle of one of your coins that has some nicks or dings, and you can see how the angle tends to minimize the severity. If it doesn't minimize the dings, rotate the coin just a little and take more photos. Eventually you will find a certain directional angle that minimizes the dings. Oftentimes, it will be photos like this that a seller will use to dupe the uneducated buyer.

I'm surely not as good a photographer as most of the guys here, but here are a couple of my photos that will show you what you should expect to see of cartwheel luster on a Morgan dollar.

Chris

118200.jpg.ac5387960e3874ced636e93cc6a03e99.jpg

118201.jpg.3376c2ded0893120772c9e78bf3979cb.jpg

118202.jpg.8ad7d92aaf078e89d576e66a7d69729b.jpg

118203.jpg.56808109395447909a60c75e04097709.jpg

I probably have asked this before but getting old...

What branch and specialty?

Chris

Hey Chris,

29957blue .

Bryan

Roadhouse Swayze Quote--

Dalton: "Yes, Sir."

Emmett reacts to Dalton calling him "Sir":

"Calling me 'sir' is like putting an elevator in an outhouse...... It don't fit." ...

lol

I probably have asked this before but getting old...

What branch and specialty?

Army

ASA, Cryptanalysis

1969-1971

I would compare this to a Model A Ford that the used car salesman said still had the original paint job all bright and shiny, but when you looked inside the car, everything was rusted and the seats were threadbare.

A Morgan with that much circulation wear couldn't possibly be that clean!

Chris