• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning coins posted by kewpeedoll

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I hear ketchup, salsa or silver cleaner are good for cleaning coins...

As a kid i loved collecing pennies for my book and i used to soak the out of them in hot sauce or ketchup. Now that i am an adult and realize that is a terrible idea, since it ruins the coin. i am curious what is a safe product to use if you want to clean your coins?

See more journals by kewpeedoll

Let me give you some hard learned advise. DO NOT CLEAN YOUR COINS YOURSELF! Pay the pro's at NCS to do the conservation right and send your coins on the NGC to be graded. I collect Russian Imperial silver minors and I have learned that if I send them to NCS to be conserved and then have them sent on to NGC for grading I get back better grades than I would have for the coin uncleaned. I don't have to worry about messing up the coin by trying to do it myself. They do not charge much to conserve the coins, it is based on their value and when they are done with the coin they will send it along to NGC for grading. I personally do not care for tarnished coins and neither do most foreign coin buyers as well. So do yourself a favor and let NCS & NGC do what they do best and you will come out ahead.

Who knows what places those coins have been in their lifetimes, and how many people have given them a little polishing with a rag over the century. On stuff that I come across in my change, I place them on a piece of aluminum foil in water with baking soda, it Cleans the grime, but leaves the finish alone. This is a fair practice for stuff that's going into those Whitman or Harris folders. The Polishes are solvents, and will disolve the layers of the finish.

Stare at them for no more than 10 minutes at a distance of 20 inches. If they are not cleaned any better by that, you shouldn't do anything else but submit them to NCS. ;)

Hey Moondoggy,

It also works with a one minute stare, I just tried it on the ugliest Cent in my coffee mug and it looks much better already.

Seriously,

CVCC is right on, let the experts do the job, they have the experience, the proper tools, and the skills to do the job right.

Later,

Malcolm