• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoops, newb moment

19 posts in this topic

Well, I was looking at some coins on ebay and decided to purchase a very nice looking 1915 Barber Quarter Proof; it was raw but images looked good, and I was fairly happy with the price.

I checked the seller's feedback, and was satisfied, a couple of bad marks, but 999 out of 1000 positive isn't bad...

Well, wasn't much time on the auction, so I went ahead and bid on the item and won it, but some post-auction research into the seller is now making me think I'll be returning this coin as soon as I receive it. I'm willing to bet half of you can guess the seller already.

greatsoutherncoin...

Apparently, they're the kings of photo doctoring, now I know. I was figuring I would be fairly safe as even a PF63 would keep me on par with slabbed cost, but now that I've read their reviews, I'm worried that this coin won't even do that. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem likely.

barber1j.jpg

barber2n.jpg

Based on prior knowledge, I would be doubtful that the coin grades PF63 or higher. There is a chance that the coin could be an impaired proof, but this determination cannot be made from the images provided. The photos look juiced to me.

My bet is that the coin is heavily hairlined and would grade less than PR63.

You should 1) return it and 2) not bid on uncertified coins of any significant value in auction. That is especially true of Proof coins, which are all but impossible to even begin to grade accurately from images.

There is almost always a very good reason why a large, knowledgeable seller offers valuable coins uncertified, as opposed to graded by a respected grading company. I bet you can figure it out.

Well, I sent them a message that explained what I'd learned and said we can cancel now or do a return in 5 days, they chose to cancel now. Live and learn, I guess. So, in the meantime, got my hands on a nice 1876 PR64 Seated Dime. Maybe I'll start looking at putting together a registry set... :)

I also avoid greatsoutherncoin. I don't buy a lot of coins on eBay but when I do they are usually certified or bullion.

Decent, raw IHC can be found cheap on eBay. They're fun to sort through and won't bust the bank.

(thumbs u

I hate to be pessimistic, but

Hypocrite! :devil:

I have already heard before bad things about this ebay seller.

????

What does this post mean?

From what I can read he likes picking on people!! ???

Ugh. I avoid them like the plague. Their juiced images drive prices beyond reason.

I love the logo in their images. I know to move one.

Lance.

They are one of the worst sellers on EBAY.

All their photos are juiced up , their feedback score is meaningless.

Most of the raw coins they sell have issues and would only get a details grade if submitted.

You paid $811 for this coin , I am sure when you receive it you will be sending it back .

Reading all these posts makes me wonder why no one who bought their coins ever just called the Postal Inspectors on them. If they're mailing items through any common carrier after intentionally deceiving a victim for profit, it falls under mail fraud. An inspector is definitely one postman you don't want to have go postal on you, they don't tend to play nice...

Reading all these posts makes me wonder why no one who bought their coins ever just called the Postal Inspectors on them. If they're mailing items through any common carrier after intentionally deceiving a victim for profit, it falls under mail fraud.

Probably because you are basically trying to charge them with mail fraud based on a difference of opinion. All they have to do for a defense is maintain that in their OPINION the grade is X. All grading is subjective, there are no legal definitions for the different grades, and they do not make any guarantee that any other person or company will agree with their grading. And if you don't like it they will promptly return your money (less shipping)

I wouldn't touch a coin sold by them on eBay with a ten foot pole, even if certified!

AGREED!!!!!!!!! This seller has a bad reputation and is known for selling problem raw coins....