• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's guess what this Walker will go for

36 posts in this topic

In Sunday's Teletrade auction, is a toned 1946-S Walker in MS-64 *.

You can see the auction listing here.... 1946-S MS-64 *

According to Coin Explorer, a MS-64 of this date goes for a little over $73.00. I'm guessing at least double that for the * and the toning.

My official guess is $180.00.

I think you are both being optimistic. The coin has pleasant toning, but certainly not the type that will (or at least not the type that should) result in a large premium for toning. I say $100 - $110 tops, and I still wouldn't pay that much for it.

I think you are both being optimistic. The coin has pleasant toning, but certainly not the type that will (or at least not the type that should) result in a large premium for toning. I say $100 - $110 tops, and I still wouldn't pay that much for it.

There some people that pay hefty premiums for the right kind of toning. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I don't think it will go for over $80

unless Gunny and Jerseycat both bid on it

Nope, I'm not bidding on it. I do like it though.

There some people that pay hefty premiums for the right kind of toning. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I don't think that is the "right kind" of toning that brings or should bring much of a premium.

I like it b/c it's sharp and clean.

I wouldn't pay more than 115 for it. Any higher of a price than that and you could find yourself a nice 65.

Just based on the image (don't know how it looks in hand) the colors are just a simple golden brown---nice but not anything spectacular.

I love it's other technical merits, though.

I like it b/c it's sharp and clean.

I wouldn't pay more than 115 for it. Any higher of a price than that and you could find yourself a nice 65.

Just based on the image (don't know how it looks in hand) the colors are just a simple golden brown---nice but not anything spectacular.

I love it's other technical merits, though.

I fully agree, and the moderate premium that I attributed to the coin was based largely on the technical merits, with a small fraction for positive eye appeal (accounting for, among other things, toning).

I see nothing questionable about the toning. Nothing spectacular about it either. Teletrades images aren't necessarily the best.

As for the price, I wouldn't be surpised if it sells for a little over $200 including the buyer's premium.

I'll guess $240. This thread probably brought the price up a bit. I like the coin but will not be bidding.

Agreed and I'm sure that some of the posters in this thread will definitely be bidders, maybe even downplaying their interest a bit. C'mon guys, let's see those pokerfaces :grin:

I'll guess $240. This thread probably brought the price up a bit. I like the coin but will not be bidding.

Dead on!

Agreed and I'm sure that some of the posters in this thread will definitely be bidders, maybe even downplaying their interest a bit. C'mon guys, let's see those pokerfaces :grin:

Out of curiosity (and feel free to ignore me), were you the winning bidder? :)

Dead on!

Out of curiosity (and feel free to ignore me), were you the winning bidder? :)

Nope, didn't bid on it. I've only been bidding on Morgans lately :)

240.00 seems an inordinate amount to pay for a 46 S graded 64.

I think that MS66 levels?

OP

Pretty much. You could buy a MS66 for what the bidder paid for this coin. Unless the coin is a killer in hand, I think the bidder is buried in the coin.

Quite a price for a $30 coin!

True if it were in fact a $30 coin. If there was no funny business here (ie shill bidding) then that coin is worth the couple of hundred it went for. If you don't think that is the case then what do you think would happen if the coin was put up again for auction in, say, 6 months? Assuming nothing changes too much in the economy or in coin collector tastes I don't see that coin going for $30. Do you? :baiting:

That being say I personally would not have bid. I'm not all that interested in late-date Walkers...but that's just me.

jom

There are plenty of unattractive 65's and 66's out there.

If that coin went in a Heritage auction in six months it would probably achieve the same price give or take.

That is not a $30 coin.

Plus designated coins do sell for a premium in most cases. This would be one of them.

The hammer price seems about right. I did not bid or nor did have an interest in this coin but I could see why others would.

MJ