• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian 1967 Confederation Centennial Sets

9 posts in this topic

Over the years in a few different forums I have seen the same questions regarding the 1967 centennial coin sets. Which sets contain PL coins? Which contain specimens? Are there proof sets?

Here are photos of a Silver Medallion Set that contains prooflike coins and a $20 gold set that contains specimens.

Notice the Silver Medallion Set comes in a red cardboard box with white lid and red leatherette case.

RCMCentennialCoins002small.jpg

The specimen set comes in a black box with white lid and black leatherette case.

RCMCentennialCoins005small.jpg

In the background you can see a sliver of the original shipping carton (and the olive oil I use to soak green death off bronze coins).

Both cases will cause the silver coins inside to tone (usually to a deep blue-black over time).

I didn't dig out a standard PL set in the pliofilm pouch, but I'm sure I can find one.

Nice sets there Sir

Thanks for the photos

I have a few questions

Are both those sets considered Specimens

and the pliofilm the Proof Like?

Is Proof a mis label by the grading companies?

Is there a quality of strike designation for the MS coins to be PL? If so are they rare?

Is the Cameo designation only found on the SP coins or are there some in the PL and MS states?

Last question, where is the best research for the Diving Goose Variety found?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated

Matthew

1. Coins in the pliofilm and Silver Medallion Sets are prooflike. "Prooflike" (which the RCM officially called "Numismatic Brilliant Uncirculated") are collector coins akin to the US mint set coins.

2. True proof sets did not come out until 1981, when the RCM got the proper machinery to produce them. 1967 Canadian coins slabbed as "proof" coins are indeed mislabeled.

3. Canadian prooflike is a different animal from US proof-like coins. The latter are non-proof coins with mirrored surfaces. The former are mint set coins. All Canadian circulation-strike coins comes from chrome-plated dies that give most coins mirrored surfaces. Circulation-strike mint state coins with mirrored fields are common from the 1940s on.

4. If any circulation coin with mirrored surfaces and cameo appearance is slabbed as "Cameo PL", it is a misnomer. Again, circulation coins and PLs are different, the possible mirrored surfaces of the former notwithstanding. I am not familiar with TPG guidelines for attributing the cameo designation, but I don't see why they wouldn't give it to either PL or specimen coins if the coins in question had a cameo appearance.

5. I don't know the source for the best research on the Diving Goose, but I got my information from the Charlton Guide.