• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob Request-Reputable Uncirculated Silver Dollar Dealers

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am new collector of coins and I have decided to get serious and would like to concentrate on collecting uncirculated silver dollars.

I did some research on an ad I received in my recent issue of Playboy from PCS Coins and Stamps for US Morgan and Peace silver dollars. :flamed:

There are some folks on the net who do not like PCS! Among other things, their prices were reported as too high for the coins.

I did try to use the search feature, however type in silver or uncirculated and a lot options pop up-not what I am looking for! :tonofbricks:

Can someone please direct me to a reputable dealer? It would be much appreciated! (thumbs u

BTW-I have started my modest collection with gifts I received in the past. Nothing fancy:

1990 Eisenhower Centennial Silver Dollar

1992 Silver American Eagle Dollar

1991 Unites States Mint Prestige Set w/Silver Dollar

Thanks in advance and I look forward ot sharing my future purchases with you all here!

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

PCGS or NGC are probably the 2 top dudes. Be very careful when collecting silver dollars especially on ebay. Don't buy anything from China!!!!

PCGS and NGC are NOT dealers but they are the best two grading services - they certify coins and are generally the most accurate. Do not buy ANYTHING from China because chances are, It'll be a fake. ANACS and ICG are somewhat good but not top-tier. Since you are starting out, try to only buy PCGS or NGC certified coins. I would recommend browsing the "What you need to know" section of this forum to learn more. The Cheap Slab Store has many certified silver dollars for nice prices.

Oh, and happy collecting :)

Welcome to the neighborhood, Chris!

The others are being too polite. What they are trying to tell you is that you should avoid buying raw coins (uncertified) on SleazeBay because there are a lot of sellers who will think nothing of pawning off problem coins on uneducated buyers.

If you should see something that interests you, you can always post a link here and ask questions before you decide to pull the trigger. There are many experienced collectors here who will be happy to help you.

Here's a little something in your honor.

Chris (too!)

117876.jpg.d2b52e3b32600a9c34552c956b4ea9cf.jpg

117877.jpg.e5c1fdb8460145a1f79ff1a12731d732.jpg

117878.jpg.4c7110634388018b1c5e438d8667eae3.jpg

117879.jpg.c7ca5cc26a2f5c4f082d562abd4b439a.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood, Chris!

The others are being too polite. What they are trying to tell you is that you should avoid buying raw coins (uncertified) on SleazeBay because there are a lot of sellers who will think nothing of pawning off problem coins on uneducated buyers.

If you should see something that interests you, you can always post a link here and ask questions before you decide to pull the trigger. There are many experienced collectors here who will be happy to help you.

Here's a little something in your honor.

Chris (too!)

Thanks Chris!!! Beautiful Carson City!!!! :o(worship)

Definitely following a whole boatload of advice avoiding China purchases! (thumbs u

I was shopping on the US Mint site last night and picked up the commerative proof of the MOH silver dollar and an uncirculated 2011 silver dollar.

I figure to start with the US Mint silver dollars and move on from there.

I really appreciate your advice and can't wait to throw some pics up from my aquisitions (might take me a bit to get coins as pretty as yours Chris! :wishluck: )

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

Congrats on your decision as well. I would offer some advice too...decide on what exactly your goal is before you just go out and start buying everything that looks like a deal. (been there, done that)

I would say start small and become more ambitious as you gain traction and confidence on what you collect. Buy the book and read it...for me it was the Morgan silver dollar guide, I travel with it now in case I need to look up something.

Stay away from the dealers who advertise heavily and I would recommend if you are buying modern coins buy from the mint, if you are buying classics like morgans buy slabbed coins from NGC/PCGS or even some old ANACs and ICG.

I have tried to give this advice to my father who collects about anything round and metal now. He has a very large collection of cleaned and polished overpriced coins...but then again it makes him happy so in the end that is what it is all about.

Have a good Thanksgiving!