• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First error coin and first slapped coin

32 posts in this topic

The only way I can envision this strike is to think it out in terms of the design and lettering as being incused into the die, as the dies clash (I thought the Mint had stop-gaps incorporated into the pressing machines that if a planchet was not in the chamber the hammer and anvil will not strike?) the incused areas RAISE the design on the opposing die and visa verse. So now, in the flat areas of both dies (the fields) you have raised devices on the die face, while still maintaining the original incused areas on both dies.

As the dies impact the next planchet, the incused areas of the dies raise the metal on the coin, as should be, while at the same time, the raised areas from the clash incuses the metal on the planchet, giving both raised and relief areas on the coin face. Of course on the coin, the clashed areas of the die will appear as the reversed mirrored image of the clash.

One other thing, since the clashed in devices and lettering into the opposing dies is not as well defined as the original engraving, the clash areas on the coin will be incused to a much lesser extent, in other words not as detailed as the intended design, but quite noticeable.

Since when does a clash cause a raised impression on a die (a depression on the coin)?

Uh, since always. The dies have reversed incused images. when they clash they transfer a RAISED forward image to the other die. Then when a coin is struck with that clashed die it transfers a reversed INCUSED image to the coin. This coin does look like a very strong clashed die. It is reversed, incused and only in the fields and shallowest areas of the devices. A hammered coin would show the reversed incused images strongest on the highest relief areas. I'd say PCGS got it right.