• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAW 1890-P Morgan (New Pics 11/26/11)

26 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I decided to "roll the dice" and pick up another RAW Morgan on eBay. The price was very good. So, I have a minimal investment in her. These are the pictures the seller provided:

1890P_-_1.JPG

1890P_-_2.JPG

I've been trying to learn as much as possible from everyone here on the board.

I know that judging a coin by a picture or two is a "sin". But this coin seemed "clean" to me.

I'll post some better pictures when she arrives.

Thoughts?

Bryan

That year is noted to have a dull luster and fairly weak strike. I agree that it looks "clean", but I would be worried about how clean it looks. I can't wait to see your pictures when you get it in hand.

I will say if it is problem free and looks that good when you get it in hand it might go MS64. But then again it might be AU...

Good insight. I didn't know they were known for their "weakness".

The first thing I will do is weigh her. If she weighs in as a "lightweight", I will deem her a fake and send her back.

If she does weigh the proper weight, I will snap some pictures for everyone to enjoy.

I figure I either have a fake or a "diamond in the rough".... ;)

I agree with you James.

Plus if she ends up being a "Whammy" (Reference to the old game show "Press Your Luck"), I'm covered. :cool:

I look at it this way... I expect it to be a fake. This way, if it's not, high fives all around!

Here are the pictures. She's not as sharp as I would like. But I think she's a nice coin none the less.

1890-p_1.JPG

1890-p_2.JPG

Thoughts?

Bryan

PS: I should note that I will try to take some more pics during the day tomorrow.

Here are the pictures. She's not as sharp as I would like. But I think she's a nice coin none the less.

Thoughts?

Bryan

PS: I should note that I will try to take some more pics during the day tomorrow.

I agree that she has potential and is a nice coin; however, your new photographs are of limited use because it reveals little about the coin's luster. This is a major grading consideration. Based on striking and the limited view of luster presented in the first photograph, the coin is unlikely to grade higher than MS64 although it could certainly grade lower.

I decided to give her a quick dipping in the acetone....

1890p_1.JPG

1890p_2.JPG

Needless to say, her luster has improved. And the cartwheels are spinning now. The only thing is, I see some new scratches....

Thoughts?

Bryan

The luster is not going to be completely destroyed by a little light cleaning. You'll still have some. But the hairlines, unusually bright surfaces, and shiny areas in the fields all point to cleaning.

The luster is not going to be completely destroyed by a little light cleaning. You'll still have some. But the hairlines, unusually bright surfaces, and shiny areas in the fields all point to cleaning.

Ditto, and my comments on other threads about a coin having large patches with impeded luster as a sign of cleaning wasn't meant to suggest that the test is definitive. It was one of a few tests. As was pointed out in the other threads and here by Jason, both hairlines and impeded luster can be indications that a coin has been cleaned. Moreover, the coin here definitely looks like it has probably been cleaned and looks like it might have circulated lightly. I grade it AU details.

Acetone is not dip.

:roflmao:

Why is this funny to you? Acetone is not dip; thus, there is nothing laughable about this. Moreover, I certainly hope that you are not making fun of the original poster for not knowing this. He is new to numismatics like you. We ALL made mistakes when we started.

Acetone is not dip.

:roflmao:

Why is this funny to you? Acetone is not dip; thus, there is nothing laughable about this. Moreover, I certainly hope that you are not making fun of the original poster for not knowing this. He is new to numismatics like you. We ALL made mistakes when we started.

Apparently my definition of dip is different from your's meh

I would give this one Au details as well. You should have just left it alone and not bothered with the acetone.

Noow – putting a coin in acetone by definition is not the same as dipping.

I would give this one Au details as well. You should have just left it alone and not bothered with the acetone.

I disagree.. The action is dipping the coin in acetone, even is the definition is not.

I disagree.. The action is dipping the coin in acetone, even is the definition is not.

I think Jason tried to explain this but you did not agree with him so I wont bother either.

"Dip" is used colloquially in coin collecting as a noun referring to an acidic solvent use to remove, among other things, toning and debris from a coin Noow.