• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary... Early Relaeses or Not???

9 posts in this topic

I am new to the boards and ordered a couple sets of the 25th anniversary eagles. I havent opened them and am in the process of sending them to be graded. My question is... It appears to be a lot of "early releases" of these graded sets on ebay. Would there be a advantage (Value) by having them opt-out of the "early releases" label? Any help appreciated...

I am not sure I have the answer to your question but it does seem the "Early Release" is important to those who prefer to buy labels and not coins. That said, I am holding my unopened box to see what happens with this issue. NGC has indicated you can send in the unopened box years from now and still get the "25th Anniversary Set" label w/o the ER. The ER is totally unimportant to me especially when all 100,000 sets could be ERs if they are sent in for grading by Dec. 8 for NGC. l may get mine graded down the road when things settle down and some order prevails to the whole issue. Who knows, it may turn out the ungraded versions in the display box become the hot item. The down side of all this is I am not able to enjoy looking at the ASEs.

The only thought I had when I read this is that you could go from "Early Release" slabs to the normal set slabs, but you can't do the opposite.

I wonder if a could get a "patent" on Late Release and then throw the idea out to the TPG's?????????????

Dont give them any ideas or they will also have a middle release (early release= 1st month, middle release = 2nd month, late = 3 months) after those 3 then it will be normal release.

Dont forget about archival release (items over 50 years old still in mint packaging)

I thought about this as well, it's just a cutoff date thing with NGC to get the label. Effectively it means the ASE's were slabbed before they sat around for to long in whatever environment you had them in. If the slabs are airtight it's just an extra quality statement as the coins were jumbled all around by the MINT anyways and no way to tell if your coins are first struck or anything like that. Collectors know all this, and it won't necessarily add value to the ASE's. I'd say the NGC 25th anniversary label would carry more importance, even on the common ASE's in the set. Everyone is different, collects different, etc.

Still, after the early release labels are sold, and sold, and bought, and bought they may become more rare, just as the 25th anniversary NGC label will become more difficult to find as they are hoarded away by true collectors, vs. people buying to flip/market to make money off them. So look at the early release thing from a buyers perspective, it's the coin you want in the condition you want, for many the early release label means just as I described it above.

I opted for the NO EARLEY RELEASE even though Early Release is closer to the reality of sent in early than FIRST STRIKE is. That's just for my own principals.

The Early Release label has never hurt the value of a coin while not having it can.

If it does not cost anything extra then it would be the prudent thing to have the ER on the set. If you only submit one set and do not plan on selling it then it really doesn't matter.

Another point....I think the ER label looks much better than the boring brown regular label...It always looks like there is something missing on that one