• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MORGAN LOVERS! posted by cemonice

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

i need some expert opinions....

I have been having an issue with an 1884-S Morgan Dollar I bought about 5 years ago before i even started collecting coins!

Anyway, i bought this coin a while back for 45 dollars. The guy who sold it to me was going out of business and needed to push his stuff out the door. At the time i didne even realize it was a semi-key date, nor did i think it was AU. I just thought it was COOL!

My issue is i have been thinking about getting it certified but i am afraid it has been cleaned. I took it to two different dealers. Both are well respected. One said it would grade, the other said it would grade, then changed his mind and said 50-50 chance of coming back in a purple lable.

What do you guys think.....Pics are coming right now for those reading this before i could add them....

See more journals by cemonice

These days with all the fake stuff floating around, weather it is cleaned or not makes no difference, it's a great looking coin and should be preserved and protected, that is if it is authentic. To me if looks slightly off, so hard to tell from pics ya really need it in hand, it does look from the pics that it might have been cleaned.

I would be curious to know the actual weight of the coin.

Have a great day

Jim

Good luck- it kind of looks cleaned. The verticle lines around the face look a buffing wheel was used on it. I had sent a Morgan to ANACS that had the same lines it and it came back MS60 details- Cleaned. Still due the higher value of this coin in AU it is still worth having it certified- even if it comes back AU details!