• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have decided to collect bust halves

19 posts in this topic

anyone have any suggestions on books or other resources I should consult? I plan on only putting together a year set probably F-XF, and don't intend to pursue all of the overton varieties (at least not yet). Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks TDN! I am actually right now looking for a reeded edge 1837 just for type (the 1836 is a little out of reach right now). I have an 1839, nice EF/AU but cleaned (as most have been) and an 1823 (Broken 3 variety) in F. I've also long been enamoured by edge lettering (hence my penchant for Saints). It just seems that in looking at most shows, there are so many nice circulated examples available for under $100, though the differences in grading from one table to the next is astounding!

Overton's book is excellent. Bust halves are a great circulated series for anyone. There are plenty of quality circulated examples, of most dates, available at a reasonable cost. Lots of history involved with the series also. Good luck. smile.gif

I just bought an overton book, and would recomend you get one. EVen if you collect by year, it is still fun to figure out which variety you have. Have fun with this set. I have been thinking about it also smile.gif

Would recommend holding out for the common dates in nicely toned examples. Looking at these for Type purposes, I have seen many of them with attractive album toning, and because they are fairly common in AU to lower MS grades, don't usually have a lot of premium attached on them.

Jeff,

For what you want to do, I strongly recommend five things ASAP:

1. Obtain the Overton book, for history, etc.

2. Obtain the Peterson book, for attribution.

3. Obtain the latest Bowers auction catalog (11/02), with the Russ Logan collection, and the Stack's catalog of the Queller half dollar collection.

4. Join the JRCS.

5. Get to know Sheridan Downey, and perhaps get on his mailing list.

The Overton book sucks for attributions. The Peterson book is MUCH better for that, and there is also a CD available as well.

Good luck. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email or PM me.

EVP

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at the JRCS site before, but was somewhat intimidated. Are they more involved with really high-end esoteric type stuff, or is there room there for a newbie collecting common circulated coins? Is there a title for the Peterson book? And who is Sheridan Downey?

Jeff,

The JRCS love esoteric stuff, high, low and middle.

I forget the title of the Peterson book, but Dr. Peterson only has one (coin) book published, and it's about attributing Bust Halves.

Sheridan Downey is a very prominent dealer who specializes in this series. He has a web site: Sheridan's web site

EVP

Ok, so they love esoteric stuff, would this make them snobby, or would a down to earth guy fit in with them? I'll add the peterson book to my want list.

Jeff,

Just join the JRCS! They publish a twice (or thrice) annual mag that has many interesting articles. Read them if you find them interesting. Joining the club isn't going to commit you to talk to anyone else.

BTW, you and I have had many a conversation. Do you find me a snob? (Ok, don't answer that!) I'm a life member of the JRCS. I joined because I simply love the subject matter. No more, no less. But, I really don't know many members because I've yet to make it to a meeting. (I need the sleep!) So, I can't tell you if they're all snobs. I do know that *many* are not snobs, but probably some are.

Who cares? Just deal with those who aren't, and put up with those who are. This isn't one of those societies that recruit from bluebloods...

EVP

EVP,

I don't know you well enough to say if you are a snob or not (though you can be a bit snippy sometimes grin.gif ). The point is, this is a hobby, and I want it to be fun and relaxing (and to me, dealing with snobby folks/situations is neither). But for the $15 fee, I guess I can try it and see!

Jeff: Last year I was getting into Civil War tokens and it was suggested that I join the Civil War Token Society. I did and alot of the stuff they put in thier newsletter if very specilised but there is also alot of infomation that a newbe can learn from. They also started to have online meetings (two weeks ago was thier first and I missed it due to work but I got a copy of the transcript and it seems intresting.

Now when I sarted to collect coins when I was about 11 years old I felt very overwelmed. Thanks to a few collectors and dealers holding my hand and guiding me I was able to learn from them and enjoy the hobby more than if I went at it with just infomation that I got from books.

I just checked the JRCS site and saw that it cost $15.00 a year for membership (a cost of a large pizza and tonics). If you are realy intrested in Bust halves and want to broaden your knoledge about them this moght be a good thing to do. CHRIS

I think you'll have fun reading the John Reich Journal. The info contained therein is worth much more than the annual membership fee.

As soon as I realized that I can just pay the LM fee, I did just that!

EVP

It is a fun series to collect, I have just started on them also and have picked up some nice EF/AU. The nicely toned ones are expensive. The best advice I would give anyone on this series is to buy them from dealers or other collectors in person. There is a lot to be seen on them and with all the varieties its a blast. Too many of the online coins have been harshly cleaned. If you do buy online make sure they have a good return policy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at the JRCS site before, but was somewhat intimidated. Are they more involved with really high-end esoteric type stuff, or is there room there for a newbie collecting common circulated coins? Is there a title for the Peterson book? And who is Sheridan Downey?

It is probably the exact opposite with the JRCS, they are a true numismatic group that would be more interested in a R6 in VG then a R1 in MS64. Research,discovery and learning signify what JRCS is all about. Every year they meet at the ANA (though I have never been to one) and discuss the years happenings, I have met JRCS president David Davis a few times (he came to my house once and I have been to his house before) and they are just good old fashion collectors that have a passion for early bust coinage.

I joined the JRCS with the advise of EVP. I am glad I did. I have not met any members, but the information in the journals is well worth the cheap price of membership.

Jay