• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wife opened US Mint box

22 posts in this topic

They will still grade the coins unique to that set under the 25th ann. label. You are SOL on the others.

Since you have had such bad luck, I will be glad to take them off of your hands and give you all your money back.... :whistle:

In my household, everybody knows you do not TOUCH my coin shipments... :makepoint:

Welcome to the NGC boards!

MM

Hi guy's. Let me start off with I am very new to this. But I will learn quickly.

Orderded 2 25th ASE. While I was at work my wife recieved and opened the box. Is there anything left to do that can salvage the grading process.

You can still get them slabbed but only two of the coins will have the 25th anniversary label. Did you warn your wife to not open the box? Next time tell her you ordered a box of live snakes and don't open the box.

Hi guy's. Let me start off with I am very new to this. But I will learn quickly.

Orderded 2 25th ASE. While I was at work my wife recieved and opened the box. Is there anything left to do that can salvage the grading process.

I looked on E BAy and while I did not do a detailed count it looks like 50% of the boxes have been opened. So you are among that 50%. NGC does not care how the box was opened or who opened it and neither does the United States Mint.Three of the five coins are already on the Market and there is no way to tell the difference between then and now.

If 50% of the boxes have been opened due to people ordering the coins that are clueless and through other incidents then this means that there is a maximum of 50,000 sets that will have all 5 coins graded with the special label. If if it is only 30% then there will still be only 70,000 sets.

The other two coins are unique. I bought the 2006 Anniversary set. I have that Reverse Proof in PF70. It was worth $750 Retail. You can buy the same exact coin on EBAY for $475.00. This is a 41% decrease. This was when there was only one. Now there are two such coins so the future remains to be seen.

I paid $100 for the set plus shipping and handling. The MS is MS69 and the regular proof is PF70. If the entire set is say $700 then this is 7 to one. If the same holds true then this set will be worth $2100 in five years if all have the special labels and prices adjust assuming no large increase in the price of Silver. if they perform the same.

For those that do not have the special label on all five then their graded set can be worth as much as $1300 under the same circumstance may even as much as $1500.

The problem is that the above assumes that the circumstances are similar but they are not similar for all five coins having the special label, The Base for the 2006 Anniversary was for 250,000 coins. I do not know the percentage of the coins in that set having all 5 coins graded, however, assume that it is 50%. and we have 125,000 possible sets. The possible for this is 50,000 sets so a possible increase in premium. I also understand that there was a larger percentage of coins graded as 70 in this set. Does this being so common make this Modern Coin less valuable?.

You are lucky in that you got the sets for $300 each . So the margin is much larger for you in the years ahead. The people that agree to pay $1299 for an opened set. $2500 for a complete set in 69 and $4600 for a complete set in 70 might not see it.

This is sort of like the frenzy that created an artificial demand for Houses that saw Prices increase an absurd 120% between 2000-2007 because they thought prices would go up forever. I paid off my House in 2004. I bought it in December 1979. Last year it is down in value !7K. It was down 30% when things hit bottom.I am still 21/2 times over my original purchase price of 30 years ago and about normal had prices continued to rise at the normal rate. The people that were really hurt were the people who paid artificially inflated prices after 2002 before they could build up any equity or used the equity in thier homes as a piggy bank for things they normally couldn't afford thinking prices would go up forever.

If you have a complete set with the 70 grade and you paid $4600 for it on EBAY and it is worth $4600 in 2016 then you lose. If you paid $300 and $100 to send it in and have it graded and you get 70s then you have anywhere from 8 fold to 12 fold in 5 years given the same circumstances.

This is just another reason to get a PO box at the USPS. All of my coin-related shipments (including magazines and supplies) go to the PO box.

Chris

In marriage you earn points and spend them. This is a case of earning redeemable points.

Don't make her feel bad. Just show your disappointment. She will find ways to make it up to you.

Lance.

Now you can enjoy them... :banana:

Are we collecting boxes or coins? hm The prices quoted in long post in this thread make no sense to me. There are 100,000 of these sets, which is not a tiny number. It makes me wonder how many collectors there are out there who are willing to spend $1,000 on a sets of coins, let along THIS specific set of coins. I know I won't. If the numbers are this high now, I don't have a lot of faith that they will remain at this level in the future as this set getting further and further into everyone's rearview mirrors.

My first thought is that you do not possess the neccesary "boxing" skills, numismatically speaking, in the marriage, at this time.

Please consider visiting a gym for lessons, to amend the instant problem, and communication that will assist the partnership in understanding when to be open and when not to be.

You can not keep theses types of issues all boxed up inside, without consequences.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Now you can enjoy them... :banana:

Are we collecting boxes or coins? hm The prices quoted in long post in this thread make no sense to me. There are 100,000 of these sets, which is not a tiny number. It makes me wonder how many collectors there are out there who are willing to spend $1,000 on a sets of coins, let along THIS specific set of coins. I know I won't. If the numbers are this high now, I don't have a lot of faith that they will remain at this level in the future as this set getting further and further into everyone's rearview mirrors.

There are not 100,000 coins in a full set.Anywhere from 25% to 50% have been opened and all five do not qualify for the special label. One needs to base the price for the complete set on a 50,000 - 75,000 modern set and not the complete five set on 100,000. Then it becomes a matter of labels etc.

Prices are too high now.

The 25th anniversary sets should follow right in the footsteps of the 20th anniversary sets, remaining quite popular and pricey, the 20th sets topped out in price at ten months at $600. The 20th anniversary sets have taken a bump from about the $300 to $375 just since the 25th anniversary sets have come out, which leads me to believe Chab just plain does not like the ASE's in particular, and he will remind us of that every chance he gets, he is entitled to his opinion. Their are many older coins that I don't even look at, I'll never be able to afford them, lots of coins in my rearview mirror for sure. I would also suspect since Chab is into Morgans, maybe he sees them as competition since so many collectors refer to the ASE as bullion and do not consider them as even collectible. Morgans and Peace dollars went through that phase as many sat in vaults for decades and were also hoarded big time for their silver content. The difference being, Morgans or Peace dollars were originally minted to be used as currency, whereas the ASE is obviously a collector piece right out of the gate.

The 25th anniversary sets should follow right in the footsteps of the 20th anniversary sets, remaining quite popular and pricey, the 20th sets topped out in price at ten months at $600. The 20th anniversary sets have taken a bump from about the $300 to $375 just since the 25th anniversary sets have come out, which leads me to believe Chab just plain does not like the ASE's in particular, and he will remind us of that every chance he gets, he is entitled to his opinion. Their are many older coins that I don't even look at, I'll never be able to afford them, lots of coins in my rearview mirror for sure. I would also suspect since Chab is into Morgans, maybe he sees them as competition since so many collectors refer to the ASE as bullion and do not consider them as even collectible. Morgans and Peace dollars went through that phase as many sat in vaults for decades and were also hoarded big time for their silver content. The difference being, Morgans or Peace dollars were originally minted to be used as currency, whereas the ASE is obviously a collector piece right out of the gate.

Are you serious? The A.S.E. with millions minted each year in competition with Morgans which are ver a hundred years of age and less mintage.

People need to check their facts. I have been purchasing the Silver Eagles since they were issued in 1986. The yearly issues in 69 hardly increased in Price until the movement in Silver Prices. The Majority of their increase is because of it.

The ones in 70 grade after the year 2000 have not increased that much in price,One has to go back before the year 2000. The seventy grade is pretty common.

I bought the coin because it was possible to get a nice looking coin with 1 OZ of Silver and it had been a long time since a U.S. Coin had been minted with 1 oz of Silver,. I was sure that Silver would be increasing in Price.

It is true that I would have liked to have been able to keep the sets complete. Actually I would have sold my sets if I did not feel that Silver would still continue to rise in Price. as I refuse to pay the prices to keep them up to date.

I would rather spend three or four thousand dollars for a Morgan Dollar.

The 2006 anniversary sets have not increased that much in value. My 2006 Reverse Proof PF 70 was $750.00 You can buy one in that grade on EBAY for $475.00 . That is a 41% decrease,. I paid $100 for the set from the U.S. Mint so obviously I have a profit, however, there was not the frenzy in 2006 to drive it up in Price.

It is questionable to me that a possible inflated demand along with the less than stellar performance of the 2006 issue except for the rise in the price of Silver of a modern issue will justify the prices in a few years.

There is one thing working for the 2011 set. If 50% of the sets were opened which means they don't qualify for the special label and all of the remaining unopened sets are sent for grading then the actual issue for the latter is only 50,000 sets.This will make the opened sets including the "S" Mint and the Reverse Proof not being a part of the complete set much lower in value.

When there is a full awareness of the above then the prices will settle down and the opened coins in the set will be much cheaper

I'd suggest grading all of them without the 25th anniversary labels, so that all the coins in your sets will match. Plus, now that they're open, you have the opportunity to examine them carefully before submitting, and can try to replace any that are substantially defective. It's not really such a bad outcome as long as you were not planning to peddle the unopened box to another buyer.

In reference to the fact she opened the box addressed to you only, it might be prudent to establish a firm policy starting immediately on opening each others mail. Just imagine if she'd opened a passionate letter from one of your ex flames.

Welcome aboard!

Are you serious? The A.S.E. with millions minted each year in competition with Morgans which are ver a hundred years of age and less mintage.

People need to check their facts. I have been purchasing the Silver Eagles since they were issued in 1986. The yearly issues in 69 hardly increased in Price until the movement in Silver Prices. The Majority of their increase is because of it.

The ones in 70 grade after the year 2000 have not increased that much in price,One has to go back before the year 2000. The seventy grade is pretty common.

I bought the coin because it was possible to get a nice looking coin with 1 OZ of Silver and it had been a long time since a U.S. Coin had been minted with 1 oz of Silver,. I was sure that Silver would be increasing in Price.

It is true that I would have liked to have been able to keep the sets complete. Actually I would have sold my sets if I did not feel that Silver would still continue to rise in Price. as I refuse to pay the prices to keep them up to date.

The 2006 anniversary sets have not increased that much in value. My 2006 Reverse Proof PF 70 was $750.00 You can buy one in that grade on EBAY for $475.00 . That is a 41% decrease,. I paid $100 for the set from the U.S. Mint so obviously I have a profit, however, there was not the frenzy in 2006 to drive it up in Price.

It is questionable to me that a possible inflated demand along with the less than stellar performance of the 2006 issue except for the rise in the price of Silver of a modern issue will justify the prices in a few years.

There is one thing working for the 2011 set. If 50% of the sets were opened which means they don't qualify for the special label and all of the remaining unopened sets are sent for grading then the actual issue for the latter is only 50,000 sets.This will make the opened sets including the "S" Mint and the Reverse Proof not being a part of the complete set much lower in value.

When there is a full awareness of the above then the prices will settle down and the opened coins in the set will be much cheaper

completely agree.

Just a few comments:

1) The original comment was in regards to the 20th and 25th Annie sets NOT bullion ASE's. Those sets did NOT have "millions" minted. The 20th RP had 250k and the 25th S & RP had 100k. I think the comment "the ASE was a collector coin right out the gate" confused the intent.

2) the high mintage ("millions") bullion ASE's are bullion and their value is directly tied to spot silver. To compare them to the limited mintage PF's, W's or RP makes no sense and getting them graded is dumb. Of course the 69 prices are low...makes perfect sense. THERE ARE MILLIONS OF THEM>>>>

3) "Morgans which are ver a hundred years of age and less mintage." Yes they are older but in all the years they were minted ZERO YEARS (non-proofs) were under 100k and only 3 were under 250k.

4)"The 2006 anniversary sets have not increased that much in value." I would call a 350% increase in 5 years pretty darn good. Just because you paid an inflated price doesn't mean the set value decreased...you simply overpaid for your coin. .

5) "I would rather spend three or four thousand dollars for a Morgan Dollar" ...and would you expect that coin to be 10-14 grand in 5 years?..Really?...look at the price history of the high value Morgans...pretty stable.

6) I agree about the opened sets and the non-key coins in them. The only coins of interest in the opened sets will be the S and RP which BOTH will be THE key coins in the collector ASE series. These will appreciate dramatically in the years to come...I should add that the GRADED non-key coins from the set will have a significant premium over their non-labeled relatives. Look at a 20th MS70 W vs. a regular 2006 W...major difference in price....

...The 2006 anniversary sets have not increased that much in value. My 2006 Reverse Proof PF 70 was $750.00 You can buy one in that grade on EBAY for $475.00 . That is a 41% decrease,. I paid $100 for the set from the U.S. Mint so obviously I have a profit, however, there was not the frenzy in 2006 to drive it up in Price...

It is questionable to me that a possible inflated demand along with the less than stellar performance of the 2006 issue except for the rise in the price of Silver of a modern issue will justify the prices in a few years...

The 2006 sets are still selling for $1295 and $1795 (NGC vz PCGS) in perfect 70, at APMEX.

...The 2006 anniversary sets have not increased that much in value. My 2006 Reverse Proof PF 70 was $750.00 You can buy one in that grade on EBAY for $475.00 . That is a 41% decrease,. I paid $100 for the set from the U.S. Mint so obviously I have a profit, however, there was not the frenzy in 2006 to drive it up in Price...

It is questionable to me that a possible inflated demand along with the less than stellar performance of the 2006 issue except for the rise in the price of Silver of a modern issue will justify the prices in a few years...

The 2006 sets are still selling for $1295 and $1795 (NGC vz PCGS) in perfect 70, at APMEX.

...and even better individually:

MS 70

RP 70

PF 70