• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A night out on the town and a family COIN CONVERSATION??? posted by Six Mile Rick

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's hard to argue with the wife and daughter (across the table) at the same time.

Friends,

Well Friday night started out great with a pleasant meal at the Outback. My son sitting next to me, wife and daughter across the table. After the meal we started talking about my dauters colledge next year and a vehicle and out of right field from across the table "UP CAME THE COINS".

I have split the coins up if something were to happen to me. My son is to get the Commemoratives, daughter will get the Silver Eagles and my wife will get all the rest. Well the two ladies on the opposite side of the table started explaining why I should sell the Silver Eagle sets while I was defending them (the sets). I explained that there was atleast 10 more years to add in the future and the sets would be worth alot more later on. I don't believe they heard a word I said.

I looked at my son and asked if he wanted me to sell his too. He smiled and said "heck no just keep adding to the sets".

I then said to the other side of the table "It's just like a woman to want what is coming to them before it is due". Then replied that I would see what I can do If that is what you want and that the conversation was finished.

So I guess the Silver Eagles will get sold and (My Son and I) will continue collecting the Commemorative sets. Good I don't need to get those 25th Aniv coins afterall.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

My wife is the same way! She wants them to pay out right away and I always defend my coins! The truth is, I don't even collect them for the payout, for the most part. My son gets my Lincoln wheat set and has a bithyear set started. My daughter gets the mercury dimes and her birthyear set. The rest come with me to my grave! Ha

Nick

Nick,

It took a long time to build those Silver Eagle sets. I never intended to sell them but it seemed like the conversation Friday night had been rehearsed by the two lovely women in my life. I believe a $100 bill sitting in thier purse would probably melt a hole in the bottom. The only way to end the conversation was to say I would see what I could do. Since that is her decision then I'll try.

Meanwhile I am sitting in my office with the coins spread all over a large table, in admiration.

OH YEAH BEAUTIFUL!!

Later----Rick

If the coins are theirs, well ...

I guess then the argument is whether the coins are theirs now, or only when you die. If they wanted the life insurance money now, start eating more bacon ... Or maybe they want the life insurance principal returned to them with no payout on death ...

Good luck. Sounds like there's more going on, like car loans? college loans? Minding my own business :-) My personal experience tells me you're not the only collector out there with large value stashed away and other somewhat pressing family money issues coming up.

Rick,

Of course it was rehearsed! Ha

Luckily my kids are still young. Almost 3 years, and daughter is 3 months. After listeningI to your story I will be sure to let them know that they can get their coins when I die.

As far as your coins on your desk all spread out, I love it! I can picture it now. I try to pull all my stuff out at least once a week or so. I tell my wife I gotta clean the safe. That safe is spotless!

Nick

Rick,

That's priceless, looks like your boy has the right idea though. I tried to get my son interested

in coins once by giving him a Morgan minted 100 years before he was born and he flipped it over a couple of times and tossed it back to me and said, "huh! Yea, here ya go! See ya Pops, gotta go!" As for my wife, whenever she gives me grief over my collecting, I line up all her shoes, purses and scarfs. remark what a fine investment they turned out to be and point out my coin collection hasn't approached the cost of her shoe collection yet and that mine has appreciated in value and not ended up at the local "Goodwill" store, lol.

As for leaving my collection to family, I'm torn between breaking it up for everyone to get a chunk or vacationing permanently closer to the equator,

Great post! Keep it on the easy Six,

Larry

When stuff like that happens to me, I just let it blow over and do nothing. Don't mention it for awhile and maybe they will forget....or buy them out...better yet! In any case, don't do anything right away. You will end up "cutting your nose off to spite your face". Take your time and remember to NEVER mention coins again. Hope this helps.

-Gramma Sue

Rick I had to chuckle as I just finished working on the family budget. My daughter will be a senior next year and we are looking at a car in the budget as well.

So far I guess I am lucky in that no one is looking at my hobby as a source of funding anything...lol.

Mtnstyne,

Yep, I had a budget and everything is planned and taken care of for my daughter for college next year. They just wanted to throw a wrench in things. My daughter is beautiful and smart like her mom and wants a new truck to drive to colllege instead of the car I got her. She wants the cash to put with her car to make her payments easier. Her and my wife have started this idea and will plug at me for the next 7 months so the best way out is to sell the eagles and collect the other sets with my son.

"Everybody Wins"

Later---Rick

My dad made me buy my own vehicles and i think i appreciated them more and treated them better because i had to work for them and knew the amount of hours of work they cost me. I think your daughter would appreciate pthose eagles more when the price of silver jumps and she could put a down payment on a house instead.. That way you get to keep them and enjoy them longer too! :)

God help us if we criticize their collection of crystal figurines, or some Hamilton Mint junk. Personally, I stayed with the Eagles, and dumped all my commems last year.

Hide everything, and tell 'em you sold your stuff, then invested all the cash with a public official in South Africa, after receiving his email with a very promising deal. Have someone nearby with a video camera to catch their reaction.

Mtnstyne,

Yep, I had a budget and everything is planned and taken care of for my daughter for college next year. ..."Everybody Wins"

Later---Rick

You're a good man Rick, hope those ladies realize it and appreciate it. Bet your Son is going to make out real well with his share.

Later,

Malcolm

Rick,

Come hang out with us for a weekend. My wife is always asking if I found something new, and my daughter is asking for more money to work on her gold Chinese pandas.

I don't discuss her $600.00 shoes and vice versa. We both understand that you can't resell shoes.

A weekend with my girls and your two girls will never look at your prudent investing the same way again.

Cheers, buddy!