• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 of a kind! posted by cemonice

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

new addition to my Morgans

i just received my coin from Heritage. i know i paid too much for it!

If i am reading it correctly, NGC's COin Explorer has it as a population of 1. If im wrong, please correct me. 1879-S MS64+ with * designation as well. I dont know why but i had to have this for my Morgan dollar, San Fran date set. I have become obsessive over this set! Its unhealthy! Anyone know what i mean?

I also snagged a NGC 1896-S XF45 Morgan off of ebay for an average price. At least for what i saw them selling for elsewhere.

9818.JPG

See more journals by cemonice

Very nice pickup Cemonice, sometimes you gotta overpay when you see somehting so beautiful. Numismatics IS an addiction and I am going to ride my coin jones into the grave. :)

Later,

Malcolm

I do have a question though. I noticed the hairlines going vertical on the reverse...

Are they slider lines from like a album or something? Whatever they are NGC still felt it was worthy of a grade . I am just curious.....

"I do have a question though. I noticed the hairlines going vertical on the reverse...

Are they slider lines from like a album or something?"

They look like die polish lines to me. Are the lines cut into the surface or raised from the surrounding surface? Die polish would be raised, as these appear to be. They also appear to be more pronounced in he protected field area between the eagle's head and wing, which would be the last area to get "slider lines".

Nice coin, and probably well worth the premium you paid. Easily this coin could be a population of one with a "plus" and "star" grade. She's a solid strike and I'll bet as good as your pictures are they don't do justice to the coin in the hand.

Very nice

Gary (thumbs u