• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am boycotting the 25th Anniversary Set posted by FuzzyChaos

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Following up on Amarillo's most recent post...

Well! I am in agreement with Amarillo's post. What it did not catch is that the same company was offering these sets ungraded for that ridiculous price. They also have MS/PF 69s for quadruple the issue price and MS/PF 70s for 10 times the issue price (yes 10 times, $3,0000). I am sure the ungraded sets they offer for over 3 times the issue price is the ones that they did not think would even make MS/PF 69s by NGC. Not to mention that the same company is responsible for recruiting hordes of U.S. Mint website crashers by offering them the $60 premium per set and encouraging them to get in on the action early. Obvoiusly, the recruits were not serious collectors themselves, otherwise they would have wanted to order for themselves. I was not lucky enough to get one set, not for the lack of wanting or trying. I just could not get time off work until 2 pm and by then, the website had crashed. I got as far as getting the set in my shopping cart, but just could not check out before the site timed me out. That happened three times before my order finally went through, but it was apparently too late. So am I going to reward these scalpers by paying their ridiculously multi-fold asking price? Count me out! I still have a respectable collection. I can and I will do without the 25th anniversary set. I am boycotting these sets. Enough said!

See more journals by FuzzyChaos

What do you think is a fair price to pay for a graded set of 69's? I have 5 sets at NGC expecting them back the 1st week of December. I don't want to gouge anybody, but want to make enough to pay for the 1 set I keep. Just wondering what would be a fair charge price.

$300.00 per set

$85.00 grading per set

$385.00 x 5 = $1925.0

$80.00 shipping (approx)

$2005.00 total for 5 graded sets

If you sold 4 sets at 501.25 you could keep one at no cost to you. 25% Profit

If you sold 3 sets at 668.50 you could keep two sets at no cost to you. 70% Profit

If you sold 2 sets at 1002..50 you could keep three at no cost to you. 150% Profit

I like the middle range

OP

Ok enough about missing the 25th Silver American Eagle. In my opinion collectors need to be smart and persistent, I have an order from the mint and I know the "web site" never crashed. We cant make the coin company's in Florida act responsible, it's greed. But I have to say they were smart to attain as many of these sets as possible.

I didn't give up, I was persistent and got my 5 sets. I did the math, 5 sets per household divided by 100,000 offered is only 20,000. customers. I figured they would be out by the end of the day. Everyone in my family circle received their orders and got their sets. Some with newer computers had less problems, If they changed the browser they had different results.

I have to admit I saw the e-mails from these company's MCM, BM CFC, and all it did was reinforce my earlier suspicions I have to be creative and persistent if I was to get my sets.

This is America, you have the right to boycott the 25th Anniversary set, but the longer you do it, the more out of reach they will become. It's like saying I'm boycotting the 10th anniversary Eagles because I can't afford it. These lessons made me buy a set of five 25th anniversary eagles on Oct, 27th at 4:10 EST. or 1:30 PST. for only 2,200.00. A real bargain at today's prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160672776485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_512wt_1396

I say the sooner you buy them the cheaper they will be for you.

Larry

@Larry I am glad you got your set. You are right about complaining about what you didn't get because of the failure of the US MINT. My dad always said good things come to those who wait. So I am hoping that with two or three years when the hype is gone that prices will come down as they did with the 20th Anniversary set. Granted that these sets have two coins that are a low mintage so who knows what the future prices for non graded coin?

Happy Collecting

Following up on Amarillo's most recent post...

Well! I am in agreement with Amarillo's post. What it did not catch is that the same company was offering these sets ungraded for that ridiculous price. They also have MS/PF 69s for quadruple the issue price and MS/PF 70s for 10 times the issue price (yes 10 times, $3,0000). I am sure the ungraded sets they offer for over 3 times the issue price is the ones that they did not think would even make MS/PF 69s by NGC. Not to mention that the same company is responsible for recruiting hordes of U.S. Mint website crashers by offering them the $60 premium per set and encouraging them to get in on the action early. Obvoiusly, the recruits were not serious collectors themselves, otherwise they would have wanted to order for themselves. I was not lucky enough to get one set, not for the lack of wanting or trying. I just could not get time off work until 2 pm and by then, the website had crashed. I got as far as getting the set in my shopping cart, but just could not check out before the site timed me out. That happened three times before my order finally went through, but it was apparently too late. So am I going to reward these scalpers by paying their ridiculously multi-fold asking price? Count me out! I still have a respectable collection. I can and I will do without the 25th anniversary set. I am boycotting these sets. Enough said!

See more journals by FuzzyChaos

I am retired and had the time. I was on my lap top and redial with a telephone is another hand for four hours with the same experience. I have been ordering from the U.S. Mit for over twenty years and Subscriptions since then have been in effect.You don't mention your method of boycott. The U.S. Mint does not care when people write letters of complaint etc and then continues to purchase from them. This was the reason for their letter of apology and their nonsense about being so concerned about their"regular" customer. A regular customer is not somebody who hasn't purchased from them in years etc and will not purchase from them again.There are still 2011 Silver eagles for sale on their website. They want their" regular " customers to continue and purchase the common issue for the next 10 years and then they will try to do better.I have cancelled all my Subscriptions and have deleted the website as provided for there. You either have to accept what they send you are return it. Say you purchase the coin for $66.00 with postage. It costs you another $20 for grading fees ans postage and yoju are at $86. It comes back as a 69. You can buy a 70 for $100 on E bay or $14.00 more which is what intend as I will not pay these prices. Call up the U.S. Mint and cancel your account etc.

$300.00 per set

$85.00 grading per set

$385.00 x 5 = $1925.0

$80.00 shipping (approx)

$2005.00 total for 5 graded sets

If you sold 4 sets at 501.25 you could keep one at no cost to you. 25% Profit

If you sold 3 sets at 668.50 you could keep two sets at no cost to you. 70% Profit

If you sold 2 sets at 1002..50 you could keep three at no cost to you. 150% Profit

I like the middle range

OP

A poster here claimed that APMEX was buying each set for $425. Five sets is a total of $2125. At 2005 he only breaks even.

Of course, Apmex is going to pay $425 or a 40% premium and sell them for at least $800 or $4000 for 5 sets. If they have them graded then the going price on Ebay for the S mint mark and reverse proof is $400 each and many of those are in the raw state. So this is $800 per set for just the two coins and $4000 for all five sets just for the two coins.

Just depends here on the price and the desired profit,

The best thing that could ever happen would be for the U.S. Mint ot have an offering of another 100K at $300 only to people who didn't get a set and then only one set. The $300 price would destroy the speculators and profiteers. Of course, we know this will never happen.

Ok enough about missing the 25th Silver American Eagle. In my opinion collectors need to be smart and persistent, I have an order from the mint and I know the "web site" never crashed. We cant make the coin company's in Florida act responsible, it's greed. But I have to say they were smart to attain as many of these sets as possible.

I didn't give up, I was persistent and got my 5 sets. I did the math, 5 sets per household divided by 100,000 offered is only 20,000. customers. I figured they would be out by the end of the day. Everyone in my family circle received their orders and got their sets. Some with newer computers had less problems, If they changed the browser they had different results.

I have to admit I saw the e-mails from these company's MCM, BM CFC, and all it did was reinforce my earlier suspicions I have to be creative and persistent if I was to get my sets.

This is America, you have the right to boycott the 25th Anniversary set, but the longer you do it, the more out of reach they will become. It's like saying I'm boycotting the 10th anniversary Eagles because I can't afford it. These lessons made me buy a set of five 25th anniversary eagles on Oct, 27th at 4:10 EST. or 1:30 PST. for only 2,200.00. A real bargain at today's prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160672776485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_512wt_1396

I say the sooner you buy them the cheaper they will be for you.

Larry

Creative?..I spent four hours both on a lap top and a telephone on redial and could not get through most of the time. If I did get through then the site crashed before the order was complete.

Spare us the nonsense. If you got through then you were lucky. There are people on here who said they have never ordered anything from the U.S. Mint or haven't in years.

Apparently you think this is alright. Never mind the serious collector.It is that attitude that can ruin a series.

Here's another one of those rodents, Boasting 40 sets and PreSelling NGC "70's" @ $3500 a pop. Follow the link and look at the stacked cartons this guy has at home. Too bad we can't have this "bad-bad" person banned from Mint-ordering. Maybe some of his stuff gets lost in transit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-SILVER-EAGLE-5-COIN-SET-NGC-PF70-MS70-EARLY-RELEASES-/150699175737?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item23165eef39

Thanks everyone for your contributions on this forum! I should really have said that I am boycotting those greedy dealers. As for the 25th Anniversary set, I may get some if prices come down a bit after the initial hype is over. As for Chryslerfan who was asking what a fair price for a 69 set is, I would say, get the most you can for it. You played by the rules, got your 5 sets, but you did not try to corner the market by recruiting hoardes of people to get more for you. That is really what my rant was about. I can easily fathom an after market premium of 100% for such a limited issue. I would pay $600 for a 69 set and maybe $900 for a 70 set. But the $3,000 price quote was what got to me. And BTW, to Six Mile Rick, I do not have a 1995 W Proof, so my Silver Eagle set is not really 100% complete. I have been able to live without that one, and I can live without these too, if I have to.