• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Buffalo nickel type 1

10 posts in this topic

Well the strike looks to be 64+ very close to a 65. But the white balance is off; at least on my screen; and it looks to have some spots which limit the grade at 64

I'd call it AU-55. Not a fan of the spots, and it looks like wear on the high points. Obviously, with the pictures that's a wild guess.

Agreed, looks like some wear in the high point of the hair especially.

It looks like an MS-60 or 61 to me. The coin has spots and looks to be a bit dull. Higher grade examples have better luster and not spots.

I concur on the low MS grade guess. On the subject of spots, however, I disagree. I see spots on many MS65 and MS66 and even some MS67 examples.

It looks like an MS-60 or 61 to me. The coin has spots and looks to be a bit dull. Higher grade examples have better luster and not spots.

I concur on the low MS grade guess. On the subject of spots, however, I disagree. I see spots on many MS65 and MS66 and even some MS67 examples.

You might see them on those high grade coins, but that doesn't mean they should be there. Spots do lower then grade when they represent damage to the metal. They can be as bad or worse than a scratch.

Other collectors chastised me for buying this 1877 Twenty Cent piece because of the obverse spot. PCGS graded the coin PR-64. It has original surfaces, including the spot, and no important hairlines or marks other than the spot. I paid 15% under bid for it because the dealer who had it had not been able to get his price for it.

1877TwentyCentsO.jpg1877TwentyCentsR.jpg

Angle shot to show Proof surface.

187720cOneO.jpg

187720cTwoR.jpg