• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 Texas Half Dollar

28 posts in this topic

I bought this coin earlier today. Just fell in love with it when I saw it. I have not received it in my hands yet but found a True view image when I checked the certification number. This is also a PCGS Coinfacts plate coin for 1935 Texas Half MS 67+ CAC.

Let me know what do y'all think about it.

25560996_large.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BD

Thanks alot everyone for the nice comments. :)

I really like the rim toning. It makes me think of a sunrise and sunset at the same time, but Texas just ain't that big.

Chris

Chris, that is a very nice comparison. Thanks.

That beauty made me glad I logged onto the forum this morning!

Thanks for brightening my day.

OP

OP, that is a great compliment. Thanks.

Very nice coin! The toning is "just right" to enhance the obverse design.

Thanks. That is what attracted me to this coin. The toning was "just right" giving the coin a lot of character.

Assuming that's the coin from the recent Heritage sale, I saw it and really liked it. Either way, congratulations.

Mark, yes this is from the recent Heritage sale. I am glad to hear you liked it. :)

Bhushan

I love it!Very nice! A little more color and it might have went MS68. Here is a 68 and one of my favorites. Its has as few hits as your but I think the color jumped it to 68.

06657923_obv.jpg

06657923_rev.jpg

Its has as few hits as your but I think the color jumped it to 68.

06657923_obv.jpg

06657923_rev.jpg

I have a hard time accepting the notion that the color would raise the technical grade.

Chris

Its has as few hits as your but I think the color jumped it to 68.

06657923_obv.jpg

06657923_rev.jpg

I have a hard time accepting the notion that the color would raise the technical grade.

Chris

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the TGPs value coins, they don't grade them. Yes, the technical grade is a starting point, but if the coin has unbelievable appeal and would add tremendously to its value then they may bump the grade in order for the number to meet the value of the coin.

Thoughts?

Steven

Its my understanding that for MS coins.......

Luster is king!

Number of hits (imperfections) follows that

Overall eye appeal comes last but can bump a coin down or bump it up.

Now you have to use some common sense. If a coin looks like it was in a fight with a butcher knife but has knockout luster its not going to grade high. Luster can however add or subtract a point. Most MS 68's have to have that "pop" to get the grade. Hard to explain but if you have held some in your hand you know what I am talking about.

Therefore if the color adds to the eye appeal it will most definitely add to the grade. I dont see why it shouldn't add to the grade. In most cases the color makes the coin beautiful. In some cases the toning might be atrocious and it should detract from that.

Chris

I don't like it either (referring to adjusting a coin's grade because of color). I like the OP's coin, and think that it is in line with the MS67s that I have seen.

Chris

I don't like it either (referring to adjusting a coin's grade because of color). I like the OP's coin, and think that it is in line with the MS67s that I have seen.

The color doesn't raise the technical grade. But TPG's don't give a coin, and don't care about the technical grade. They give it a market grade. Like it or not, that is the basis of modern coin collecting.

That is a gorgeous coin! I haven't seen many good ones personally but I'd probably jump on that one.

One of my favorite CC designs, she's a real beauty! (thumbs u

That's a nice looking coin!

Thanks a lot.

I love it!Very nice! A little more color and it might have went MS68. Here is a 68 and one of my favorites. Its has as few hits as your but I think the color jumped it to 68.

06657923_obv.jpg

06657923_rev.jpg

Its my understanding that for MS coins.......

Luster is king!

Number of hits (imperfections) follows that

Overall eye appeal comes last but can bump a coin down or bump it up.

Now you have to use some common sense. If a coin looks like it was in a fight with a butcher knife but has knockout luster its not going to grade high. Luster can however add or subtract a point. Most MS 68's have to have that "pop" to get the grade. Hard to explain but if you have held some in your hand you know what I am talking about.

Therefore if the color adds to the eye appeal it will most definitely add to the grade. I dont see why it shouldn't add to the grade. In most cases the color makes the coin beautiful. In some cases the toning might be atrocious and it should detract from that.

Thanks Dimefreak. I believe at the end of the day grading is very subjective even from grader to grader. Here is a 66+ Vancouver. It has booming luster. One of the best I have seen on these halves and this one has some nice color. Surfaces are mark free except for a small ding on the trapper’s leg. Will this make a 67?

6084641984_ce6b52022d_b.jpg

Thanks Dimefreak. I believe at the end of the day grading is very subjective even from grader to grader. Here is a 66+ Vancouver. It has booming luster. One of the best I have seen on these halves and this one has some nice color. Surfaces are mark free except for a small ding on the trapper’s leg. Will this make a 67?

6084641984_ce6b52022d_b.jpg

No; I'm betting that luster is the only reason this coin received a "+" designation. I would have given you a normal MS66 grade.