• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"A few HUNDRED sets"

34 posts in this topic

For those not able to buy a set, these are the types of people who you should be complaining to, like it would matter. This guy has sold 3 boxes of 5 sets already with 2 more to go. 25 sets. How do you think he got those???

I never was an ASE collector but this Silver Anniversary set sounds really cool!

It's ashame that some people are not getting theirs and others are getting multiple sets just to price gouge and resell.

But this just makes the sets more valuable for those who were diligent and quick enough to get one.

Kinda exciting; I would think.

Makes me wish that I woulda tried to pick one up!

I never was an ASE collector but this Silver Anniversary set sounds really cool!

It's ashame that some people are not getting theirs and others are getting multiple sets just to price gouge and resell.

But this just makes the sets more valuable for those who were diligent and quick enough to get one.

I am not sure I would equate Government pactices of exclusion with an individual's diligence and quickness, but I certainly understand the point being made.

Just a silly thought on my part.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I am not sure I would equate Government pactices of exclusion with an individual's diligence and quickness, but I certainly understand the point being made.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I agree, especially with respect to an "individual's diligence". Many extremely diligent people have jobs and/or other responsibilities which could have kept them from being able to try to even place orders, much less for a period of hours.

And I would guess that many people who did place orders, did so on company time, and neglected their responsibilities to their employers.

What if I was able to pick up a 5-pack for say 3,000$ and I want to make a 500$ profit on each, would it still be infuriating?

I of course do not know where the person ATS got the sets, but maybe he has a network willing to provide the goods.

What if I was able to pick up a 5-pack for say 3,000$ and I want to make a 500$ profit on each, would it still be infuriating?

I of course do not know where the person ATS got the sets, but maybe he has a network willing to provide the goods.

I think it may be infuriating, to some. I

t simply may be misdirected.

The person's network, or any perceived profit is not really the primary issue, although I understand the link you are offering in the hypothetical "what if".

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I agree, especially with respect to an "individual's diligence". Many extremely diligent people have jobs and/or other responsibilities which could have kept them from being able to try to even place orders, much less for a period of hours.

And I would guess that many people who did place orders, did so on company time, and neglected their responsibilities to their employers.

I was at work.. ordered mine during my lunch break. :makepoint:

Someone should send copies of his adds to the Mint.

Chris

I'm really not sure the mint cares sinse they already got his money :( jmo (and im not sure i like that part either)

Why not? People who have little or no consideration for others and disregard the Mint's order limit should be put on a "No Sale" list by the Mint. When they lose all of their privileges for purchasing from the Mint, maybe they will change their tune.

Chris

But how would the Mint "prove" that somebody cheated the system? There is no way they could do that. What if, and I mean what if, my brother decided to buy me some sets unknowingly to me? Now I would have more than the limit of "5 per household". People will do whatever they can to get what they want. Yea, its tough not being able to get a set but trying to get the mint to change that isnt possible.

Some have said, limit 1 per household. Ok, well if you do that do you really think these dealers and TV dealers wont get others to order for them?

This is an up hill battle with no end.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

That's good for you. But some people might not have had lunch breaks, or at the right time, or even if they did, didn't have access to a computer or long enough breaks to get their orders filled.

That's the way it worked, but it doesn't mean that those who didn't place or have orders filled weren't diligent.

.........What if, and I mean what if, my brother decided to buy me some sets unknowingly to me?

Sure, and I could be walking through Central Park one day and spot a cardboard box sitting under a park bench, and it had five sets in it, but the shipping label had been peeled off.....and.....and.....and.....and!

The Mint, like any other business, has the right to refuse service to anyone.

Chris

That's good for you. But some people might not have had lunch breaks, or at the right time, or even if they did, didn't have access to a computer or long enough breaks to get their orders filled.

That's the way it worked, but it doesn't mean that those who didn't place or have orders filled weren't diligent.

But Mark, aren't these things too modern for you? ;)

(ie....anything more recent than 1945? :baiting: )

But Mark, aren't these things too modern for you? ;)

(ie....anything more recent than 1945? :baiting: )

Ron, indeed, they are. And that is part of the reason why I pre-sold them. ;)

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Who dont get lunch breaks? My lunch break was 3 hours after ordering started. You mentioned that some people "neglected their responsibilities to their employers".. ha ha ha.. I never stated that folks were diligent, not once. Sorry that some folks werent able to get their sets.. dont get pissed at those who did.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Who dont get lunch breaks? My lunch break was 3 hours after ordering started. You mentioned that some people "neglected their responsibilities to their employers".. ha ha ha.. I never stated that folks were diligent, not once. Sorry that some folks werent able to get their sets.. dont get pissed at those who did.

Who doesn't (not don't) get lunch breaks? A number of people.

I never said that you made any reference to diligence. But another poster did.

I got my order filled and am not upset with anyone.

I have a very different take on this situation. The Mint is to blame for the problems that arose, and they admitted as much in their correspondence following the debacle.

Their decision to limit the population to 100,000 sets, on a coin as universally collected around the world as the silver eagle, instantly created a market for these coins that was much higher than what the Mint was charging. The coins were worth more than $300 per set before they went up for sale, as evidence by APMEX and other dealers offering to buy them at premiums. If you want one, buy one at the market price.

There is a reason for the premium. It is impossible for potentially millions of collectors to each get 1 set when 100,000 were made, and while I think the Mint could have served more individual collectors by lowering the household limit, there would still be a huge throng of collectors crying out. Under the circumstances created by the Mint, the set is a true collectible, and only people willing to pay a premium to get one will be able to get one, under the laws of supply and demand.

I consider myself very fortunate to get my 5 sets (it took 2 hours and 23 minutes), and I have made offers well above $300 to acquire more sets. I have been willing to pay a premium to acquire these, that's how coin collecting works. You can't buy the 2006 sets at the Mint price, you have to pay a premium. You will have to anti-up even more if you want one of these 2011 sets, thanks to the Mint. Anyone can make an offer to buy them, there's nothing unjust about that. Buy a box of 5, have them graded, keep one, and sell 4. You will probably make a profit if you act fast. Frankly, the idea that everyone got them from the Mint is just as absurd as the notion that everyone can get one.

I have a very different take on this situation. The Mint is to blame for the problems that arose, and they admitted as much in their correspondence following the debacle.

Their decision to limit the population to 100,000 sets, on a coin as universally collected around the world as the silver eagle, instantly created a market for these coins that was much higher than what the Mint was charging. The coins were worth more than $300 per set before they went up for sale, as evidence by APMEX and other dealers offering to buy them at premiums. If you want one, buy one at the market price.

There is a reason for the premium. It is impossible for potentially millions of collectors to each get 1 set when 100,000 were made, and while I think the Mint could have served more individual collectors by lowering the household limit, there would still be a huge throng of collectors crying out. Under the circumstances created by the Mint, the set is a true collectible, and only people willing to pay a premium to get one will be able to get one, under the laws of supply and demand.

I consider myself very fortunate to get my 5 sets (it took 2 hours and 23 minutes), and I have made offers well above $300 to acquire more sets. I have been willing to pay a premium to acquire these, that's how coin collecting works. You can't buy the 2006 sets at the Mint price, you have to pay a premium. You will have to anti-up even more if you want one of these 2011 sets, thanks to the Mint. Anyone can make an offer to buy them, there's nothing unjust about that. Buy a box of 5, have them graded, keep one, and sell 4. You will probably make a profit if you act fast. Frankly, the idea that everyone got them from the Mint is just as absurd as the notion that everyone can get one.

I said one per address and not one per household. There is a big difference. The Computer can probably be programmed more easily to the address then different names. I have see ads where somebody is offering 25 sets. They aren't collecting 25 sets as they wouldn't be up for sale.Not only do they not collect the series but they got at least 4 other people that could care less about the series to buy five

I have also seen an article in Coin World where people are offering the complete set in grade 70 for $4000.Does anybody really think that the average collector of the series can afford $4000?

I had a whole set of Modern Comms that I sent to David Lawerence and they sent them back stating that there wasn't that much interest in these Modern Sets. I ended up sending them to Teletrade and got a big profit on a few 1995 Olympics in 70 so I made a profit overall.

My 2006 Reverse Proof in PF70 has lost value in the last few years . What do people think wil happen in the next few years now that there are two reverse proofs etc?

I would have liked to purchase the complete set. This nonsense about not getting a Lunch break is absurd.I am retired and I spent 4 hours with my laptop and a phone in the other hand and I could not get through to the U,S Mint and when I did on my lap top the order process would not finish

There would have still been people and relatives and friends that would have called in if the sets were at one per address, however, it would have been much harder and much longer. At 5 sets per people it took 20,000 calls. At one set per person it takes 100,000 calls. If it took four hours for 20,000 then that relates to 20 hours for 100,000.

I started buying the series in 1986 because of the Silver content and the fact taht they came direct from the U.S. Mint. I bought them each year just to have a complete set.I have to agree with Mark on this one. Modern Sets aren't that big of a deal.

The U.S. Mint advertises that they are for the collector. What they mean is that they don't care about Dealers and greedy profiteers being able to take advantage of lax and short sighted policies on such a limited addition as long as the sucker general public buys their jun with mintages in the millions on an annual basis.

I did have a subscription for all Silver proof sets and Silver Eagles ,however, I have cancelled them and will never buy another item from the U.S.Mint.I t would be very simple for the U.S.Mint to check the history on orders to determine who are all the real customers.

The 2011 Reverse Proof is the only one that I don;t have. That and the difference in labels. I am not paying $600 or $1000 and especially $4000 for a set.If other people want to buy into this nonsense and see the prices go down in two years then go for it

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It's really a matter of luck to get through to ordering one set. I spent the day off

and ended up using over 6 and a half hours to try to order a single set, from the time the mint put them up for sale. By then it was evening and the sets were 2 hours sold out. doh!

Ron, indeed, they are. And that is part of the reason why I pre-sold them. ;)

Mark, information from a "reliable" souce confirms that anyone who ordered sets for resale and not for their own personal collection does not care about the collector and I dare say the entire coin collecting community. I am sure that there will be major repurcussions as your reputation is soiled and you will likely be forced to earn a living in a vocation where integrity and trust are not expected. Have you ever considered practicing law?

Just for the record, my order of 5 is in stock and reserved but not yet shipped. I haven't yet decided how I will dispose of them or if I will manage to keep a set. I will have to weigh the profit against the irreparable damage to my reputation (or just not tell anyone I sold them).

I have also seen an article in Coin World where people are offering the complete set in grade 70 for $4000.Does anybody really think that the average collector of the series can afford $4000?

It seems a bit ludicrous for someone to advertise a complete set of 70's when they haven't even had time to have them graded yet. It makes you wonder how many sets they are submitting to get all those 70's. 25? 50? 100?

Chris

Not to upset the people who tried to get their sets in and couldn't get through (that includes me), but

.. ATS

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::censored:

I said one per address and not one per household. There is a big difference. The Computer can probably be programmed more easily to the address then different names. I have see ads where somebody is offering 25 sets. They aren't collecting 25 sets as they wouldn't be up for sale.Not only do they not collect the series but they got at least 4 other people that could care less about the series to buy five

I had a whole set of Modern Comms that I sent to David Lawerence and they sent them back stating that there wasn't that much interest in these Modern Sets. I ended up sending them to Teletrade and got a big profit on a few 1995 Olympics in 70 so I made a profit overall.

My 2006 Reverse Proof in PF70 has lost value in the last few years . What do people think wil happen in the next few years now that there are two reverse proofs etc?

I would have liked to purchase the complete set. This nonsense about not getting a Lunch break is absurd.I am retired and I spent 4 hours with my laptop and a phone in the other hand and I could not get through to the U,S Mint and when I did on my lap top the order process would not finish

There would have still been people and relatives and friends that would have called in if the sets were at one per address, however, it would have been much harder and much longer. At 5 sets per people it took 20,000 calls. At one set per person it takes 100,000 calls. If it took four hours for 20,000 then that relates to 20 hours for 100,000.

I started buying the series in 1986 because of the Silver content and the fact taht they came direct from the U.S. Mint. I bought them each year just to have a complete set.I have to agree with Mark on this one. Modern Sets aren't that big of a deal.

The U.S. Mint advertises that they are for the collector. What they mean is that they don't care about Dealers and greedy profiteers being able to take advantage of lax and short sighted policies on such a limited addition as long as the sucker general public buys their jun with mintages in the millions on an annual basis.

I did have a subscription for all Silver proof sets and Silver Eagles ,however, I have cancelled them and will never buy another item from the U.S.Mint.I t would be very simple for the U.S.Mint to check the history on orders to determine who are all the real customers.

The 2011 Reverse Proof is the only one that I don;t have. That and the difference in labels. I am not paying $600 or $1000 and especially $4000 for a set.If other people want to buy into this nonsense and see the prices go down in two years then go for it

I agree with much of what you are saying. However, on one point: the average collector need not purchase a set of certified 70s, the raw sets will not be perfect 70s and it takes a lot of work and a lot of money to buy enough sets on the secondary market, at huge premiums, to submit and get a composite 70 set. I would agree that that the $4000 number is high and could come down over time, though I have seen them at $7500.

The San Francisco Mint coin is also unique to the set, as it has the S mint mark, whereas the pieces released from San Francisco earlier in the year do not, from what I understand.

I agree with much of what you are saying. However, on one point: the average collector need not purchase a set of certified 70s, the raw sets will not be perfect 70s and it takes a lot of work and a lot of money to buy enough sets on the secondary market, at huge premiums, to submit and get a composite 70 set. I would agree that that the $4000 number is high and could come down over time, though I have seen them at $7500.

So, if I get 2 70 sets (of course ill keep one), what would be a good price to sell. I would like to throw that question on the floor here. I have my idea, let me know yours.

Based off the 20th set.. the MS70 is over $600 and the reverse proof is over $400 and the proof is over $100. I think I would toss mine up for $1500 (all 5, all 70s). What is your thoughts?

Diligence had nothing to do with it. I spent 2 hours on the phone and on the computer trying to get my set and never got one. While a friend got his on the phone in about 10 min. It was all about luck .