• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Listing Spreadsheet posted by Texan's Coins

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For insurance purposes

Does anyone know if you can print out your set listings as a spreadsheet? I want to insure my coins and this would be a great listing to provide to my insurance company. I would really rather not have to create my own spreadsheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

In case you haven't checked with your insurance company on specifics. My insurance company (State Farm) required any coin over a certain value to be photographed just like here showing cert number and a copy of the FMV according to the NGC web site. A coin under a certain value would NOT have to meet all the above requirements.

moondoggy

Marcus,

State Farm allowed me to use the collection manager list that showed the approximate value as well as the description of the coin.

They requested images of all of the graded coins which you should have if you have been uploading images, and they requested a "sampling" of the higher end value coins over $1,000 in value. In other words I had to take a number of coins in physically for inspection and leave them for a couple of days, for underwriting purposes. For the raw coins, I had to give a spreadsheet with the most recent inventory and certified appraisal and they accepted that as is.

They underwrote it as a personal articles policy.

Hope this helps.

Marcus,

If you have Excel or something similar, creating your own spreadsheet is not really so bad. I like having my own because I have full control over it, and can expand it as I see fit.

Within one file I have separate sheets for each denomination, with entries for each Redbook variety. Additional entries can be added easily, if desired. For each entry, I have columns for date, MM, variety, PCGS number, grade, grading service, cert #, alternate grade info, condition census info, purchase price, purch. date, source, taxes/fees paid, value, value source, value date, and provenance info.

The cert # cells are hyperlinked to slab photos, and the date & MM cells are linked to larger obverse and reverse images.

Being an early copper collector, I also have separate sheets to serve as variety checklists for Cohen (half cent) and Sheldon (large cent early dates) and Newcomb (large cent middle and late dates) varieties.

Yes, it took some time to create the basic form with all the Redbook listings, but it's been worth it to me.

Alan

Thank you, everyone for the input. Mike, I had checked with USAA in the past about this, but we'll be moving to Maryland next year and will be renting for a little bit so it's more of a priority now. Thus far, none of my coins are anywhere close to $1000, so I'm not required to provide pictures yet. However, having pictures never hurts things, right?

Kamakazy, reading about your spreadsheet really makes me want to make my own. I usually use Excel to plan our vacations; itineraries, prices, etc. That much detail in it sounds fun and my wife just showed me how to hyperlink my pictures, so that makes it even more fun.

I'll keep ya'll posted with the progress.

Marcus

Let me clarify, ANYTHING that is graded you will have to provide a picture of with the cert. number and grade in the slab.

Anything over $1000 you will have to physically take the coin/slab to your agent so they can verify you physically have the coin.

Using a spreadsheet in conjunction with NGC website with hyperlinks to graded coins is a bonus for you only and I do the same to have all graded and raw coins in one inventory.

The rules are a little different for dealers. They just carry a blanket policy that is equal to or exceeds the average value of inventory at any given time but are open to an underwriting inspection at anytime without notice.