• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File A Complaint Pertaining To The ASE 25th Order Process Directly to The US Min

16 posts in this topic

Want To File A Complaint Pertaining To The ASE 25th Order Process Directly to The US Mint? And If you want to know if you order is on the wait list and the number to file a complaint read below.

For those who do not know if their orders are on a wait list or not here is the answer. If you order was taken after 5pm then you are on the wait list. I just confirmed this with a order taker at the US Mint web site. She also told me that people have been calling in mad that their order(s) have been cancelled. It will take sometime for the Mint to catch up with the orders. It is safe to say if you ordered before 4:40 PM EST then you are okay. Now I asked her if the Mint will increase the limit because of the trouble people had getting in and the answer was that is the rumor going around. But her experience is that when the Mint set a limit it is set.

So keep your fingers cross. Oh yes for those flippers on Ebay a lot of them have been taken down by Ebay only to be replaced by others.

If you are mad about the ASE troubles here is a the direct number to the US Mint Catalog Coin complaint department 202-354-6675.

And here is the direct number to the US Mint. United States Mint telephone hours: Weekdays 9:00am to 5:30pm EST, except holidays.

Telephone: (202) 756-6468

Fax: (202) 756-6200

Oh yes how can one order one now on the wait list as it is sold out but the Mint states you can still order. See screen capture below:

Happy Collecting,

Ed

mint.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Let's see.....bunches of greedy speculators ordering several times the maximum...seems like you should make your complaint to them, not to the US Mint. They are not there to line your pockets or cater to speculators.

This happens everytime the mint comes out with a sought after set. The mint has no way of knowing who's who on the internet or if it's the same person with another address using another family member. I had to schedule my work around the sale time just to be able to get one set. I know not everyone has this option but those that don't usually have someone that can do the order for them. It's always a gamble when these special sets come out. You will never be able to stop the multi-order people. They plan for these things. This is not the Mints problem and I doubt they will change the way they do things because someone isn't able to get an order in. I doubt they even care.

I would never pay the inflated post-mint sale prices, anyway.

After a while, the price will come down, IMHO.

The only people that are gonna pay there post-mint sales, inflated prices are the very impatient, overeager collectors who just can't wait and have to have it NOW for their immediate gratification.

Welcome to the world of capitalism, please leave fair at the door. Capitalism is not fair and the world is not designed to be fair. Sorry Ed, this is a fact of life.

Your comment reminds me about the old days when ticket brokers (the name for legal ticket scalpers) would hire people to stand in line to buy tickets for major events. In the early 1908s while attending college in Georgia, I would stand in line for tickets to some of the major shows. I can't tell you how many times I stood in line at the Fox Theater in Atlanta for a broker. I never saw a show at the Fox, but I would buy the maximum 16 tickets and give them to the broker. In turn, he paid me $100 for my efforts. In the early 1980s, $100 went far for a college student!

Today it's the anonymity of the Internet or the telephone. Just like the person at the ticket window did not know I was buying the tickets for a ticket broker, the website does not know if the person is buying for a dealer. Neither does the person taking the orders on the phone. It is not their job to know. I don't want the U.S. Mint becoming the thought police!

Like Bobby said, I don't think there is much to complain about regarding the procedure. However, there is plenty to complain about their technical infrastructure both on the Internet and the telephone that failed under the load. That is something worth complaining about!

Now if you really want to file a complaint, you need to file it with someone who can do something. First, I would start with your representative to congress. If that person is a member of the party not controlling the White House, then they would take great delight in going after an Executive Branch agency for something. Then you might consider filing your complaint with the Treasury Office of the Inspector General. You can find out how to submit a report to the OIG on the Treasury Website.

Good luck.

Scott

The only people that are gonna pay there post-mint sales, inflated prices are the very impatient, overeager collectors who just can't wait and have to have it NOW for their immediate gratification.

They may come down in the future but you will still be paying a premium. Look at the 2006 set. $100, they still sell for $300 on ebay 5yrs after the fact. If this 11' set holds value like those, you'll be putting down a $1000 bill to get one.

They may come down in the future but you will still be paying a premium. Look at the 2006 set. $100, they still sell for $300 on ebay 5yrs after the fact. If this 11' set holds value like those, you'll be putting down a $1000 bill to get one.

Good point. It will likely taper off a bit but then fall somewhere in the middle.

I haven't really been following ASE price trends, so I don't really know their rates or how they hold their value, especially the newer issues.

I was just speculating on what the market would do from how I know that it usually works.

It's true what you're saying, since I just punched up a few older sets on Ebay and compared them to their original mint offered price.

I still wouldn't pay a grand to own a 2011 set which cost $300, though, but that's just me. ;) A grand is ALOT to spend on a set of brand new bullion coins, IMHO.

Better luck next year for those who missed out! That's what I would wait for.

Oh yes how can one order one now on the wait list as it is sold out but the Mint states you can still order.

Ed

It's standard procedure for them to continue taking orders on the assumption that some of the people who received them will be unhappy and return them for a refund. As a rule, those that are returned have some flaw or imperfection, so I wouldn't want one of these sets anyway.

Chris

It was a mint lottery and not everyone can win. There were more buyers than there were prizes.

All accounts were limited to the same amount of sets. All callers faced the same challenges to get an order in. Some got in, some didn't. Still don't know if my order got in on time, but if it didn't, no sour grapes.

Ed J, go ahead and complain; I am with you in spirit. You have a legitimate grievance against the Mint. They are solely responsible for setting the parameters (100,000 sets + 5 sets per household + a known problematic ordering system) which lead to this fiasco.

The fact that so many are accepting of shoddy service is exactly the reason why we are in the situation we are in. In a democracy, you get the government you deserve and the quality of government service you are willing to accept.

So go ahead and complain. However, I will not be joining you because basically I am an old jaded reprobate well-conditioned to accept the Mint’s malfeasant management. (How do you like that alliteration? Feel free to use that in your complaint). ... Power to the Collector, we are the 99% … :frustrated:

bullion coins are minted to meet demand.

collector coins have limited mintage. That's what makes them collector coins. I don't always agree with mintage set by the mint but it's their call, not mine.

There is no question that demand far exceeded supply in the case of the 2011 sets, but the Mint set the 100,000 coin limit. I don't think you can blame capitalism for the fact that not everyone could get one.

bullion coins are minted to meet demand.

collector coins have limited mintage. That's what makes them collector coins. I don't always agree with mintage set by the mint but it's their call, not mine.

And its a damned sight better than what was offered in 2009 and 2010.

What a bunch of spoiled children we've become.

The Mint screw up and that is all there is. They know it so no need to complain to them. However, when I see that HSN (coin crooks) selling 600 ASE 25th sets 400 graded @ 69 and 200ASE 25th sets graded @ 70 I wonder if all of the big coin housse caused the back up in the frist place. 69's selling for $1400 and 70's selling for $2900...Now that is what call a nice little profit.

Live and let live I say....

The Mint screw up and that is all there is. They know it so no need to complain to them. However, when I see that HSN (coin crooks) selling 600 ASE 25th sets 400 graded @ 69 and 200ASE 25th sets graded @ 70 I wonder if all of the big coin housse caused the back up in the frist place. 69's selling for $1400 and 70's selling for $2900...Now that is what call a nice little profit.

Live and let live I say....

The U.S. Mint should have known it.

The problem that I have with them is their response of their website that that they apologize and that their highest concern is their "regular" customer. A person that has never bought the series before this and will never buy it afterwards is not a regular customer. If the U.S. Mint does not know the definition of the word "regular" then perhaps they know a 10 year ols child that can look it up for them.There are probably others who have never ordered from the U.S. Mint and will never order from them again. Their "regular" customers who are not Wholesalers etc are also not allowed to order the Bullion coins from them .They could also have adjusted the sets as they claim is their right on their websites. Ebay had pulled all the ads unless a Seller had actual physical possession of the coins. This would have caused a big problem for the Sellers.

The U.S. Mint sends out ads to " regular" customers claiming they are directed to the serious collector.

It should be obvious that the U.S. Mint does not care about the "regular" customer in this series. They could care less about your complaints. They just want you to continue purchasing the series every year that have not increased much in value except for the price of silver.

You either have to accept what they send you and send it in for grading and hope for a good grade or return it. Say you spend $66.00 for postage and Handling to purchase the coin. Another $20 or grading and postage. You are up to $86.00 and may get an MS69. Why not pay an extra $15 or so and get a MS70 on Ebay?.

They could care less about your complaints. If you really want to have an effect and collect the series then write them a letter or call them or both and tell them that you are no longer going to purchase the A.S.E. and don't do it. Or just continue to buy their high mintage .A.S.E each year until the next anniversary when they enable it again.

Have your friends and relatives do the same as did the dealers and profiteers.