• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your favorite error coin

20 posts in this topic

For me this is my favorite because I got it for $1 in a junk bin about 10 years ago. I believe it's a retained die error but I'm open to being corrected. :)

116646.jpg.bccca7b71c69e9f356fad97c2029502e.jpg

It looks like a planchet flaw or lamination defect.

My favorite error will always be my 2001-D Kennedy on my sig line. I got it in a $100 Mixed P&D bag from the Mint. It cost 68c.

Chris

I was reading in Coins about the most recent mint process. Seems like error coins are going to be harder to come by now. Who do you think is the best source for errors other than Fred Weinberg? What I mean is that I know about him but am curious about who else would be a good source.

That's a rather tough question. There are so many possibilities. Nonetheless, for the moment, I will go with this. I call it a bowtie indent, as the reverse indent was caused by a bowtie blank with two large opposing clips.

10c-1999p-bowtie_indent.jpg

That's a rather tough question. There are so many possibilities. Nonetheless, for the moment, I will go with this. I call it a bowtie indent, as the reverse indent was caused by a bowtie blank with two large opposing clips.

10c-1999p-bowtie_indent.jpg

I'm not so sure about the bowtie from the a blank strip. For one thing, the edges aren't uniform as an arc of a circle would be, and the other thing is that it looks like you can see the faint image of the devices. If this were from the blank strip, it would be about the same thickness as a planchet, and you wouldn't see these details at all. Since you say that it is recessed, I'm guessing that it was a strikethrough by something thinner.

Chris

After they punch out the planchets they chop up the resulting webbing. The result is called scissel. If you have the clad layer come off a piece of scissel and a coin was struck through it it might come out looking like this.

Buffalo Head - you've done it again !!

You've found one of the most amazing

Buffalo Nickels that I have ever seen.

Extremely attractive and very well struck !!