• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What caused this toning?

11 posts in this topic

Sorry for the poor pictures, this coin is en route to Mark Goodman to get much better ones.

Please note how the reverse toning is an inversion of the obverse toning, so I would suspect that this would rule out tape toning.

Maybe some sort of pseudo tab toning?

1558310_Full_Obv.jpg

1558310_Full_Rev.jpg

I have to say I have no clue...could be some sort of an end roller that was flipped in the roll at somepoint but it really doesn't have a look I have ever seen before from a roll or album hm

And this what I was talking about in the other thread and the differences in toning on Peace $... I have seen taping toning on a lot of Peace $... even some that are quite colorful...

Now Jersey posts this coin and I can honestly say that this is a pattern I have never seen before and I have literally looked at thousands if not tens of thousands of toned Peace $...

Its obviously some type of tape toning on the obverse,,, perhaps the coin was wrapped in paper with the obverse not being pressed against the paper but with the paper press against the reverse...

Or as Mark suggests maybe it is some type of tab/album toning.. I believe I have seen aftermarket holders/albums that have a band of cardboard across the back of the reverse and the top and bottom are open. And a piece of tape was used to hold the coin in place across the obverse...

Whichever, it really is a unique toning pattern ... Congrats...

Thanks. I picked this up raw at the Philly show and submitted it right there.

Couldn't resist based on the uniqueness of the toning.

He had a matching Morgan that he said came from the same seller. Said it was in some sort of anniversary set.

Will post better pics when I get them.

I am the last person to be at all knowledgeable in the subject of toning, and I never even try to judge a coin from a picture.

But (there is always a "But"), in this particular case, I may have a minor bit of information for consideration.

A very similar coin/date that I am familiar with, that exhibits substantially the same type and shape of discoloring, was kept in a "coin" envelope that had a deep tapered flap with a wide glue strip. The envelope was not sealed. The flap had been turned down into the envelope, and the glue flap rested on the coin.

I am not stating definitively that this occured here, and for all I know my computer is displaying something different than other computers. It was just a thought when I saw the image.

Well, I did preface by stating that I am the last person knowledgeable in this subject. So, if you read this far....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

He had a matching Morgan that he said came from the same seller. Said it was in some sort of anniversary set.

Aftermarket holders are known to produce all sorts of toning. This pattern is likely based on whatever tabs or ribbons were holding the coin in place.

I don't find it all that interesting or attractive, sorry.

I don't find it all that interesting or attractive, sorry.

I agree it is not necessarily attractive... but I find it interesting since I have never seen another Peace (or any coin for that matter) with this toning pattern.

if you took a piece of heavy paper or construction paper,

and cut 2 slits in it, and slipped in a Peace dollar, it would look like that

I think I have seen some bank giveaways for starting a savings account or promotions for sales, etc from the 60's that looked similar