• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913-S type 1 Buffalo Nickel mint marks. I have a question....

2 posts in this topic

I have a couple of 1913-S type 1's and the mint marks are different and in a different location. I have a few books on Buffs and all I can find is the mint used the same "S" mint marks from 1909 to 1917 even on the Lincoln cents. These two Buffs have different mint marks, one is smaller than the other and they're in different locations. If ya can shine a light on this subject I sure will appreciate it. Here are the images, the first is an NGC MS-66 & the other I have not submitted yet but it's gorgeous. Thanks for your time and trouble....Joe

1913-STYPE1NGCMS-66001.jpg

1913-STYPE1NGCMS-66004.jpg

13-SNGCMS-66CLOSEUP012.jpg

13-STYPE1031.jpg

13-STYPE1043.jpg

13-STYPE1021.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for the question.

These are actually the same style mintmark, which as you said was used on 1909-17 Lincoln cents. The lower coin is struck from a worn die with blurred peripheral details. The mintmark location does vary depending on where the S was punched.