• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-S Buffalo Nickel RPM

7 posts in this topic

I picked this Buff up not to long ago and have not had much of a chance to share it till now. This piece shows well with booming luster and what I call a thick mint skin. The 1935-S Buffalo Nickel's are not known for they're great strikes and it will take some time for you to find one your happy with, at least for me it did. I was at a coin show with my son, which has a great eye for Buffs, and he called me over to a sellers booth to show me this coin. Right away I liked it and purchased it for a good price. After getting home I pulled out all of my treasures from the day to look them over and it wasn't until I imaged this coin I realized it was a re punched mint mark, the RPM #1 of six RPM's for the date. This one is the most extreme of the bunch and according to Mr. Lange it was more than likely due to a influx of new employs for that year and these RPM's were a result of clumsily prepared dies, preparing the mint marks was an acquired technique that took more experience than the rookies had at that time. At any rate here are the images of this coin. The first two images are with two lights at 3:00 & at 9:00. The other two are with three lights 2:00 10:00 & at 6:00. I really like the looks of this piece it has a great strike for the date and shows like a super star with just a hint of cobalt steel toning. Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome as always....Joe

1935S-SPCGS016.jpg

1935S-SPCGS017.jpg

1935S-SPCGS026.jpg

1935S-SPCGS032.jpg

2006.jpg

I wonder if Buffalo Head's hoard of buffalo nickels will ever get their own label from the grading services (like Battle Creek Hoard etc) :D

Thanks for sayin, but they're not really special. They look nice but I'll assure you I'm not the guy. There are many folks out there who have much better coins than I. I just like to show mine more than they do. I do however have a lot of them. Thanks for looking....Joe