• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paying Up For Color

6 posts in this topic

I'm guilty of this in the past. I used to own a really nice Lincoln Cent collection where color was the key and money was immaterial. When I had to sell them that's when I realized that, oops, color doesn't always mean "Show me the Money!" I lost my a** on all of them.

It could be my fault by not selling in the right venue or selling too soon. It really doesn't matter because I took a huge loss.

The reason I bring this up is because of a super nice 1957 NGC PR67 Cameo Roosevelt that is up for bid at the Heritage Pittsburgh show. It would be a super addition to my birth year set but not at the current price.

Some words of advice: Be careful out there!

It sure doesn't stop me. I purchase eye appealing Buffalo Nickels and most do have color. I buy these coins because "I" like them. I really don't worry about losing money when I sell them because I'm not selling them. My coins will be passed down to my son for him to enjoy and I hope he will add to and pass down to my grandson. At least this is what I hope.

Don't get me wrong as I do understand what your saying and your right to a degree . Just buy what ya like and just enjoy the hobby the way "you" want......Joe

Edited to say.... I saw some of your Lincoln cents you sold off and it's hard to believe you sold them, if they were the matt proofs I'm I;m thinking of. They were over the top....

The reason I bring this up is because of a super nice 1957 NGC PR67 Cameo Roosevelt that is up for bid at the Heritage Pittsburgh show. It would be a super addition to my birth year set but not at the current price.

I bid on that coin but I gave up a long time ago before it reached the current level.

Anyone see the 1923 NGC MS65* one sided toned Peace $ that went for $3451 w/ BP ?

Geeeezzzzz....

Almost a 2000% color premium ? Wow...

I did see it in hand and loved it. But my bid was just a smidgen low, compared to the winning bid ;)