• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858-O Seated Half

24 posts in this topic

HI Folks,

I posted this in the early half thread a few weeks back and received no comments, I guess that means seated halves are not early enough. So I am posting it here with some interesting info. I like New Orleans pre-civil war coins. This was the only O mint seated half I had the resources to bid on from the 'Richard' Osburn collection that came up for auction at ANA this summer.

Here is what The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Halves, Wiley and Bugert says about this variety:

WB-107. QUADRUPLED SECOND 8. (1 HEAD DIE)

The final 8 has been punched no less than 4 times. Portions of three early 8′s show up in the rock above 8, in the field northeast of 8, and in the upper loop of the prominent second 8. (See [16] pages 356-358.) (Breen-Unlisted)

They note there are 21 die marriages documented (at the time of the book publication). There may be more known today we will have to see when Bill Bugert's new section on late O mint halves (≥1853 and younger) is out. In Wiley and Bugert, this die variety gets R2 overall and R8- in uncirculated. I like the drunken nature of whoever was punching in the date - missed 3 times until the got it right. Pretty cool. I would also like to note that on occasion I am very fortunate to image a coin 'just right'. This one came out very good I think and it would be hard for me to improve on it unless I learn alot more.

Also, this coin appears to have a skin that has not been messed with, at least recently, for those liking the natural look, this one has it, but still have a booming luster underneath the patina.

Post your seated coinage in this thread!

Best, HT

1858-OhalfNGCMS62DO.jpg

NICE :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Wonderful coin and image, HT.

I have but one O-mint, an AU50 1858-O. But no quadruple punch. :( Nice reverse, though.

Lance.

a0ffaece.jpga3e63dd3.jpg

Looks okay to me normal progression in colors with NT, nice halves Lance! I wonder if the reverse die on your 58 is the same as mine? The die clash in the shield and the placing and form of the O mintmark are pretty much the same. Can't detect any difference between them...

Best, HT

Here is an 1860-O half dollar which is the Seated Half, With Drapery, No Motto hole in my type set. It is a PCGS MS-64 with a "green bean" (CAC). I think that this is very high end for the grade, but I had to pay for it too. In other words it was not bargain priced. The piece has a lot of luster, and I tried to capture it with this wierd angle picture.

1860-OhalfdollarO2.jpg1860-OhalfdollarR2.jpg