• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Whitman Pickups

11 posts in this topic

3 out of my 4 pickups from Philly Whitman show. Just got images back from Mark Goodman. My last pickup, a tab toned rainbow Peace Dollar, is at Quality Control in NGC and I should have it back soon.

PCGS 1922 P MS-64 (Image by Mark Goodman)

1922_1.jpg

NGC 1923 P MS-63 Binion Rim Clip (Image by Mark Goodman)

1923sdclipobv.jpg

NGC 1924 P MS-66* (Image from previous Heritage Auction)

1537594_Full_Obv.jpg

The 22 is fantastic, but why does that 24 have a Star? Is there something I'm missing?

Can't wait to see the "tab toned" Peace. I've never heard of a Peace having that type of toning.

The 22 is fantastic, but why does that 24 have a Star? Is there something I'm missing?

Quite honestly, I don't know, but I can only assume the coin got a * for either the luster or PL surfaces on the reverse. I got it for a solid MS66 price, so the * was an added bonus. It is CAC'ed too.

Maybe it got the star because they were able to determine that the fingerprint belonged to Al Capone.

Chris (shrug)

all are above average in terms of eye appeal and/or coolness factor and/or rarity

but the top and middle peace dollars are way super above average (thumbs u

in every way shape and form

3 out of my 4 pickups from Philly Whitman show. Just got images back from Mark Goodman. My last pickup, a tab toned rainbow Peace Dollar, is at Quality Control in NGC and I should have it back soon.

How does a Peace $ come to have tab toning ? And can you please describe what you mean by tab toning ? I thought tab toning was unique to commems...

http://www.commemcoins.com/holders.html

Thanks... Nice 22 BTW...

How does a Peace $ come to have tab toning ? And can you please describe what you mean by tab toning ? I thought tab toning was unique to commems...

http://www.commemcoins.com/holders.html

Thanks... Nice 22 BTW...

I bought it raw from a dealer who said it was consigned from someone who had a peace and morgan dollar in some sort of anniversary set. The matching Morgan had the same toning. I did not buy the Morgan. I will be getting Mark Goodman images on that puppy too, but in the meantime, I will be supplying the $3 NGC image shortly.

What's under the base of the neck of the 22 peace dollar? Is that toning or something else?

I was wondering exactly the same thing. It looks like active corrosion, but hopefully it's just an optical illusion.