• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBH Photo Contest (Reverse) Finals

CBH Reverse Finals  

126 members have voted

1. 1. CBH Reverse Finals

11 posts in this topic

The title says it all. This is the Finals for the CBH contest. The same photographers made the finals for both the obverse and reverse. Choose only one and the winner will be chosen by you next week.

1r.jpg

3r.jpg

7r.jpg

All 3 are VERY good photos. About the only way to tell is if you had the coin in hand, held it to the monitor and picked the one that got the closest color.

Yes, and then adjust your monitor's color balance so that the one you want to win is the closest to the actual color. How many of us calibrate our monitors to display accurate color? I know I don't.

All 3 are VERY good photos. About the only way to tell is if you had the coin in hand, held it to the monitor and picked the one that got the closest color.

Yes, and then adjust your monitor's color balance so that the one you want to win is the closest to the actual color. How many of us calibrate our monitors to display accurate color? I know I don't.

One also needs to consider the light used to view the coin. The color of stuff on any given monitor does not change with the color of the light in the room. The question then becomes one of deciding what the standard color of light to be used for viewing coins is. Daylight, you say? Well, even that has slightly different colors at different times of the day and year, so that's too vague. How about a color temperature of 6000K? Sounds good, but all the lights in auction viewing rooms and grading rooms are 3200K incandescents, and bourse floor lighting is a mix of every color imaginable, including incandescent, GE Reveal™, a few different CFL bulbs, and whatever color the headache-inducing, flickering overhead lights are. The number of coins that trade hands by looking at them in daylight is very small. Setting colorblindness aside, human vision has a good auto white balance mechanism, but it likely works inconsistently from person to person.

Color was so much simpler when all one had to do was grab a crayon labeled "red" and draw an apple in order to get a gold star.

Color was so much simpler when all one had to do was grab a crayon labeled "red" and draw an apple in order to get a gold star.

Don't be so sure. I still don't know what in blazes "burnt umber" is.