• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC: Submission Status Proposal

18 posts in this topic

So, we all know that NGC is likely inundated by calls from people requesting status of their submissions. Currently, the only information we are provided is the average turnaround time.

When a user submits coins, it is my understanding that they are entered on a First In, First Out basis in their respective tiers.

So, for example, if I submit 5 coins under the Early Bird tier, then I will have to wait until all previously submitted Early Bird submissions are complete before mine will be completed.

So let's say that there are 5000 pending Early Bird submissions at the point my submission is received by NGC. Let's say a week later, my submission is now behind 2500 pending Early Bird submissions. You could say at this point that my order is 50% towards completion. A day later, maybe 64% towards completion, etc.

Using this system, the NGC programmers can leverage existing data to give the end user an idea as to how their submission likes respective to their peers in terms of completion.

Or, you could just wait until the results are posted because worrying about it isn't going to get it completed any faster.

Chris

^^

Or, you could just wait until the results are posted because worrying about it isn't going to get it completed any faster.

Chris

^^

Hey Noow, I have noticed you around town with the "winnah" guy alot lately. Did you and the "popcorn" guy break up?

Nick

Chris

^^

Hey Noow, I have noticed you around town with the "winnah" guy alot lately. Did you and the "popcorn" guy break up?

Nick

He is included in every post under my sig line :D

Just so I don't have to manualy popcorn every post lol

Chris

^^

Nick

Thats some Funny S**t right there :roflmao:

So let's say that there are 5000 pending Early Bird submissions at the point my submission is received by NGC. Let's say a week later, my submission is now behind 2500 pending Early Bird submissions. You could say at this point that my order is 50% towards completion. A day later, maybe 64% towards completion, etc.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to give you a true idea of how long it will be before grading your invoice. Perhaps those 2500 invoices that were graded during the week averaged 5 coins each. However, the next 2500 ahead of your invoice average 50 coins each. Worse, they include a bunch of invoices with varieties and esoteric items. We'd have complaints that NGC is slowing down because we didn't have the true facts.

Also, a majority of the same graders that grade the Early Bird also grade the Express and Gold tiers. What if there is a large increase of those submissions that take precedence over Early Bird?

Chris

^^

Nick

Thats some Funny S**t right there :roflmao:

:roflmao:^^:roflmao:^^:roflmao:^^:roflmao:^^:roflmao:^^:roflmao:^^

:popcorn:

Unfortunately, this isn't going to give you a true idea of how long it will be before grading your invoice. Perhaps those 2500 invoices that were graded during the week averaged 5 coins each. However, the next 2500 ahead of your invoice average 50 coins each. Worse, they include a bunch of invoices with varieties and esoteric items. We'd have complaints that NGC is slowing down because we didn't have the true facts.

Also, a majority of the same graders that grade the Early Bird also grade the Express and Gold tiers. What if there is a large increase of those submissions that take precedence over Early Bird?

Some valid points here. How about a simple countdown?

E.G.: "Your submission is 1557thin in the queue."

Chris

^^

I thought I asked you not to post in my threads?

You ASKED ;)

:signofftopic:

Waiting for the grade of a coin sent in on a grading submission is the toughest part of being a collector in my opinion. My grade was a 70 but will NGC say it it's only a 67? As an example:

MOH_Slab_Obv.jpg

I received this coin from the U.S. Mint and sent it straight to NGC for grading.

I sent the coin to be graded to help ensure the long term preservation of the coin. I'm retired military so the con has meaning to me. Not a quick flip sale as others seek.

I feel that coin submissions are a major part of money revenue for a grading service. If they can't keep turnaround times low they will loose business to another grading service that has faster turnaround times.

I only do one or two submissions a year so I'm a small voice. Small voices do turn into large voices as a collective group so our voices do need to be heard.

You can track your submission status online. As I track my submissions online they go from "Scheduled For Grading" for weeks at a time then "Quality Review" for an additional week or two then all the sudden I get the results when the coin ships. Not the best system in the world for sure. Making a phone call won't help. Customer Service will tell you what you already know if you use the online tracking system.

Most people just complain about it and then feel better once they get it off their chest.

How about thinking about the whole process and submitting your solutions to fix the process?

As we age in this life most of us transition to this point of view.

Enjoy your coins. :)

Without actually seeing your coin in hand, to say for certain, I agree or disagree with the grade and would be unfair to you, me and NGC . However I will agree that it seems from some of the recent posts here, NGC is having some real difficulty meeting reasonable turnaround deadlines.

Waiting for the grade of a coin sent in on a grading submission is the toughest part of being a collector in my opinion. My grade was a 70 but will NGC say it it's only a 67? As an example:

MOH_Slab_Obv.jpg

I received this coin from the U.S. Mint and sent it straight to NGC for grading.

I sent the coin to be graded to help ensure the long term preservation of the coin. I'm retired military so the con has meaning to me. Not a quick flip sale as others seek.

I feel that coin submissions are a major part of money revenue for a grading service. If they can't keep turnaround times low they will loose business to another grading service that has faster turnaround times.

I only do one or two submissions a year so I'm a small voice. Small voices do turn into large voices as a collective group so our voices do need to be heard.

You can track your submission status online. As I track my submissions online they go from "Scheduled For Grading" for weeks at a time then "Quality Review" for an additional week or two then all the sudden I get the results when the coin ships. Not the best system in the world for sure. Making a phone call won't help. Customer Service will tell you what you already know if you use the online tracking system.

Most people just complain about it and then feel better once they get it off their chest.

How about thinking about the whole process and submitting your solutions to fix the process?

As we age in this life most of us transition to this point of view.

Enjoy your coins. :)

Lee,

Do you have a photo of the flip side of your MOH? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see anything that would cause this to be graded 67.

Chris

I'm kinda with Chris. I think it would have to be something pretty severe to bring it to a 67. I mean, how many PR67 moderns are out there nowaday? PR69/70 is pretty much the standard. On another note, any minor imperfection could seem huge being that moderns are so perfect in today's day and age.

I'm kinda with Chris. I think it would have to be something pretty severe to bring it to a 67. I mean, how many PR67 moderns are out there nowaday? PR69/70 is pretty much the standard. On another note, any minor imperfection could seem huge being that moderns are so perfect in today's day and age.

I submitted a couple hundred proof silver Eagles one year. The coins were overnighted to me from the mint and the same day I received them they were overnighted to the TPG still in the mint capsules. One graded PR64. :sick:

I submitted a couple hundred proof silver Eagles one year. The coins were overnighted to me from the mint and the same day I received them they were overnighted to the TPG still in the mint capsules. One graded PR64. :sick:

I'll bet you'll never send them to NTC again!

Chris