• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is/Are Your Favorite Series Of Coins

17 posts in this topic

and why? Also, who do you consider the experts in the series?

Let's see some images too. :)

My favorite series is the Classic Commemorative's, 1892-1954. They are rich in history, have a story to tell (good & bad), are colorful, and can be found relatively cheaply.

I am also working on a Type Set, Dansco 7070 and a 1957 Proof Set (Birth Year).

As far as the experts in the series, most consider those who wrote a book the experts. This is not necessarily so. Did they do their homework or just regurgitate previous stories/mistakes? Take your time and conduct your own research to find the true pioneers in your series. Those who gave up their time in search of "the truth." The newest book out on the Classic Commemorative series was written by Kevin Flynn. He gave up his time to find original archive records and had an assist from Roger Burdette (RWB) so I feel his book is #1 along with Taxay, Swiatek and Bowers.

Here are some images of the series I've discussed:

14003455_obv.jpg

1897pcobv1B-1.jpg

DSCN3770E.jpg

57Washington_Quarter_Combo.jpg

My number one consideration along all series is to enjoy this "hobby" and give back to it in any small way that I can.

broke.gif

leeg, I enjoy the classic commems as well even though my collection is still very modest and has taken a backseat to other needs.

I also collect morgans and have been working on a type set 7070 as well. I feel it is important to have a completed 7070 on the shelf and until then won't feel qualified to call myself a true collector.

I find all the expertise I need on the boards and in the books. RWBs posts are always informative and a pleasure.

Recently my interests have taken a very strange turn in an entirely different direction. I was fortunate in my job to transition to the Army Finance Corps and during the course I was introduced to military payment certificates (MPC) and have been collecting and researching them extensively. For these the experts are Fred Schwan, Mr. Howe (Army Finance Corp museum curator), and on these boards lettow is very helpful.

I like Liberty Nickels and just moved to 8th place in the Collectors Society Registry.

My grandfather started a whitman set mostly AG to VG that I inherited. I have been upgrading the set for 3 years now.

I cannot explain why I like them so much...they are not rare, they are not precious metal, they can be very unattractive. It's a coin thing I guess :luhv:

Also, CBH, Morgans, Classic Commems

OP

115881.jpg.f5e5e35e34016f16d817e845f4a7f26c.jpg

I like Classic Commems along with Modern World Gold and have specialized in both of these at one time or another.

Recently, I have been shifting my focus more to Modern World Silver - PF ASE's, Modern Silver PF Sets, Modern Commems, etc. I think its possible silver could go to the 150-250 range but with the recent drop to $30 (buy opportunity?) I won't question you if you think I may be overly optimistic.

In addition, I recently bought a rather nice group of slabbed 19th Century Type from an area collector who responded to my local buy ad which I have been offering to certain area clients I have been doing business with over 20 years and a good part of it has already been sold to one fellow in the Clear Lake area who I know all the way back from grad school.

Super photos above - really like the 1898 Libety Nickel and 1858-O Half Dollar, nice coins.

I've only been at this a couple years, but so far early Commem's is the only thing that has caused me to sit down and really work on building a set.

In this same vein the amount of education I have had is relatively small, so whom I consider the experts of the series is pretty wide. I've learned a ton from members like Broadstruck, LeeG, Commemdude (ATS), Justacommeman, and books by Swiatek and Breen. I imagine as I get deeper into the collection, and have more years under my belt I will begin to determine whom the defacto expert is (in my eyes), until then it is all that have helped either directly or indirectly.

For me it has been the early half dimes. I've been working on my set for over 35 years. The trouble is I have only been able to upgrade my Red Book based collection, and can't afford that last one I need to finish, the pesky 1802.

As for more recent interests, early gold by type and Charlotte Dahlonega gold by type. Both are tall mountains to climb with rocks waiting to fall on you.

:tonofbricks:

Franklin half dollars, both cameo proof and toned business strike. Of the two I prefer the toners. Tomaska is the current "guru" for the series, but Val Webb was the first person to write seriously about them.

One of the things that I most like about coins is the concept of holding a piece of history in your hands... e.g. wondering where those coins have gone and who has held them. Because of that, while they are not a single series/type per se, I also enjoy collecting space flown coins/bills from the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo (MGA) era; and also astronaut signed bills from the MGA era.

Hi Leeg,

I'm sure it's no suprize my series are the mighty Buffalo nickels. I love these coins because of their beautiful design and the way the motiffs full up the planchet.

I feel David W. Lange & Mark Feld are people I look to as experts. I also must mention Andy from Angle Dee's who has mentored me to a degree on this series.

090.jpg

I love Buffs and have collected off and on since I was 13-14 years old. I am now 60. I remember going to the coin shop with my dad back in the late 50's & early 60's when there weren't any grading companies all were raw coins with the grades as either XF or BU no AU what so ever. Wow how times have changed.....Joe

Man luv you're collections. I'm a newbie but luv the buffs and frankies and walkers and anything Barber and thanks RWB and Franklin lover and Skyman and Jason and MF and bobby and LeeG $ BOB C. My pop, hey collected some. Bill helped a heap & Dean thanks y'all. Lange and Tomaska, good book for me.

115884.jpg.f9e66089432fe3c6ae2bf6d4be1b7bc3.jpg

None of my favorite sets are from US series. But from US coins, Draped Bust and Capped Bust which are coins I can actually afford to buy in average to better circulated grades.

I have also always liked the Capped Head half eagle but I will never be able to afford one. That along with the $10 Indian is my favoite gold design.

flowing hair large cents 1793-1795, halfdimes, halves, dollars 1794-1795

because it is the first early american federal coinage with miss liberty in fright with just long flowing hair and it is way cool and it is a bridge from colonial to the first early federal coinage somewhat colonial but truly the first early federal coins made in super small quanities (with the exception of the 1795 dollars and 1794 cents) and not patterns made for circulation ie. relaeased to the common man

also pre 1908 liberty head 2.5 5 10 20 dollar gold in proof just sexy and way cool

the odd, mostly low mintage beaituful indian princess three dollar gold coins

the most sexy and popular of any proof 19th century coinage the large headed proof morgan dollars that when cameoed and originally set toned are stunning

pine tree shillings small planchets with the xf and above small planchet pine trees many, MANY!! times scarcer than their large planchet counterparts

i have others but too long to write