• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about paper currency?

8 posts in this topic

I am a comic guy so I was wondering if there is a service that grades paper currency (that is bills). Nothing against coins but it seems to me that collecting $100 bills or $10,000 bills could be quite fun. I saved some $2 bills and sometimes save brand new bills because of the mintness when it comes freshly off the press. Just wondering.

I believe there are a couple of services, most prominent being the CGA, or Currency Grading Association (I think). I don't know much more than that.

hmmm good question! might be that currency doesnt have the staying power coins do. I mean metal lasts a lot longer than paper. A coin can be heavily circulated, and still be a coin where a bill can only handle so much use before it is really trashed.

Also coins typically have less initial value than bills, so people are/were more likely to set aside some nice uncirculated coins then they were a $20 bill. (sure there are $20 coins, but they are gold, so again, more likely to stash than spend)

There are usually some currency collectors/sellers at coin shows, but I never really looked at their stock. I have seen currency shows advertised, so they do exist. When I see the currency, it just doesnt do anything for me. No excitement, no luster or shine. Looks like the same stuff the MAC machine spits out.

Some of the confederate money, and civil war bills are very cool looking, but once they went to the standard designs and green ink they havent changed much. I am sure some currency collector will chime in and say I am all wrong, but thats just how I see it.

Boy GP you are wrong!!! The varied designs, colors, and types, of U.S. currency is truly amazing!!! Also currency collecting is much more fun than gathering plastic,IMO!! Don't get me wrong, I love collecting coins, but there is nothing like currency collecting IMO. By the way, most currency collectors were at one time coin collectors! There are several good currency shows. In fact there is a huge currency auction from CAA/Heritage at the FUN show. GP you need to take some time and look at some older U.S. currency. If you are wondering what you are missing, go to the Heritage site and look at some of the photos of the currency in the FUN signature sale!

There are several currency grading companies, but most collectors and dealers avoid them. CGA and CGC are the main two.

cool.gif

Those bills are just as pretty as any coin. Miniature works of art, I'd say.

I am sure the comic guys would have an easier transisition time from comics to coins if only the mint had the persons depicted saying things like, "with great power comes great responsibility" wink.gif