• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking for holders.....i'm a n00b

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone -

I was browsing through the forums and have learned a lot. I am looking for some inexpensive holders to put raw coins in. I am not going to get them graded, i just don't want any damage done to the coins that can be avoided. i know you shouldn't store in any type of PVC, however, i couldn't figure out what holders to buy and where? i am looking for a super inexpensive type of holder (paper/plastic combo?) that would be good for preventing damage from impacting other coins. thanks in advance.

The newer ones that can be bought are PVC free. I bought some from a good seller on ebay but I'll have to try to find out who it was. There are also reputable supply dealers, I forget also, but I'll try to find them for you also. Someone else may chime in b4 I get bac.

What you want are here: http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/2x2-flips/

I have bought from that website several times, and always been happy. You will need to buy album pages, or a 2x2 box, to store the 2x2s in, because they get bulky. Those are also available on the website.

Hi Everyone -

I was browsing through the forums and have learned a lot. I am looking for some inexpensive holders to put raw coins in. I am not going to get them graded, i just don't want any damage done to the coins that can be avoided. i know you shouldn't store in any type of PVC, however, i couldn't figure out what holders to buy and where? i am looking for a super inexpensive type of holder (paper/plastic combo?) that would be good for preventing damage from impacting other coins. thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use the 2x2 cardboard holders on higher grade coins due to potential dust residue which can spot the coins. This especially important for high grade uncirculated coins. An almost equally economical solution is to use Saflip or another brand of mylar 2x2 flips. If you ever do decide to submit the coins to a grading service in the future, this is the same type of holder you will need.

Here is a link to these: LINK

If you intend to use the cardboard 2x2 holders, you will also want to purchase a "flat clinch" stapler. This type of stapler completely flattens the staple ends so they don't snag on other coin 2x2s. I used to use 2x2 cardboard flips, but I have since transitioned to the 2x2 Saflip holders.

If you intend to use the cardboard 2x2 holders, you will also want to purchase a "flat clinch" stapler. This type of stapler completely flattens the staple ends so they don't snag on other coin 2x2s. I used to use 2x2 cardboard flips, but I have since transitioned to the 2x2 Saflip holders.

I was going to suggest the same thing about the stapler. If you have an Office Max or an Office Depot in your area, you can probably get the flat cinch stapler cheaper there.

Chris

While a flat clinch stapler is nice, and takes your collection to the next level, it is absolutely not necessary. I use a regular stapler and then press down the rounded staples with a knife or pliers. They flatten out quite nicely, and do the exact same thing as a flat stapler.

I love Eagle Coin Holders. Google them up.

Expensive and their plastic display pages don't usually last if you're always moving coins around or taking them out to be photo'ed.

Chris