• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Try: 5 Toned Morgans. Thoughts? 1886O; 1895O; 1896O; 1897O, 1903O.

21 posts in this topic

9/25 - I have added some photos as described below- hopefully these will help with evaluating the toning.

9/26- Adding 1895 0 Shots- several of obverse & reverse- Scroll clear down in this post.

----

Original Post:

Here are five toned Morgan Dollars- I recently joined NGC and PCGS and I have several free grades with each. Since it is my first experience with this I would like to select interesting choices. I am considering these five Morgans. I beileve most of these have toning and this toning business is all new to me so I would be very inrerested to hear from toning collectors as well regarding these pieces generally.

Are these good choices to submit for a grade? If so, why and if not, why? Thanks. I am learning a lot and enjoy all of the helpful and fun people on this board. I am in the process of getting ready to sell a family collection and educated myself. Thanks.

1886 O

86o.jpg

1886 O Rev

96rev.jpg

1895 O

95o.jpg

1895 O Rev

95rev.jpg

1896 O

96O.jpg

1896 O Rev

96rev.jpg1897 O

97o.jpg

1897 O Rev

97rev.jpg

1903 O

03o.jpg

1903 O Rev

03rev.jpg

OK I am adding some pictures that maybe improves the view the toning. I have take a couple coins as testing to see if these are useful photos. If so I will take photos of the remaining coins. I hope some of you are still bearing with me and I'm sorry it look me so long to get this together- I'm camera challenged but I'm working on it. Please tell me if these photos are useful.

1886 O

86O.jpg

XXX

1886 O rev

86Ob.jpg

XXX

1896 O Rev - Second shot

86Orev2.jpg

XXX

1903 O

1893O.jpg

XXX

1903 O Rev

03rev.jpg

1895 O

Addiing several of obverse & reverse- these are as taken, not edited.

OBVERSE

013.jpg

054-1.jpg

052.jpg

REVERSE

056.jpg

062.jpg

057.jpg

Hope you can see more from these- more coins tomorrow.

Please remember that your submissions are not "free" - you paid for them with your membership :) . Therefore, you are taking the proper path in wanting to send in coins worthy of submission.

Are you showing us scans? If so, they are really not quite adequate quality for eliciting the best guidance.

My guess is that the first four coins are definitely not worthy of the cost of certification.

The 1903-O might be IF the color is original. It's an overpriced date that I have often been able to buy below wholesale even at the UNC level, and if yours has questionable color, then it might not be worth enough to justify certification.

Really, your best resource will be an experienced collector or dealer to help you out. There are several on the boards who would likely do so for free (or close to it).

Sorry I couldn't give a more excited reaction :( .

Hi - Yes those are scans. You need a more high quality scan? This I will investigate. What would be an optimum scan?

The colors are all original as far as I know- these coins have been in storage in safety deposit for at least 25 years and I then I have had them in storage for 5 years- I don't think any of these have been out of their paper envelopes in that time until last week.

Don't worry about a lack of excitement- I'm trying to educated myself. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

I don't think scans are really going to work to show off these coins or the color/luster which is a big part of evaluating if these would be good candidates for submission. Do you have a camera? Even cell phone images might give us a better idea as they look flat and lifeless with no luster in the scans and I am sure they look much better in hand (thumbs u

I will repost what I posted in the GTG forum:

They all look AU to me. If there is luster present, these are probably moderately attractive. A scan tends to show a dull, flat looking coin, so I'm interpreting these images.

The 1886O is worth about $130.

1895O - $1200 (no, that's not a typo)

1896O - $150

1897O - $125

1903O - $350

As you can see, the 95O and 03O are worth submitting, the other three are not. The 95O in particular is a very desirable coin.

All might be worth submitting. Based on the pictures you show, the only one that I would definitely send is the 95-O. Take a look below the eagle's tailfeathers of the 1886-O and see if there is a raised 'E' in the field. The coin looks heavily clashed and might be a VAM 1A, which is worth a premium over a normal 86-O. 96-O and 97-O would be worth submitting if they are solid AU coins. The 03-O doesn't change much in value from AU to low MS, but having it in a holder will serve as a guarantee of authenticity.

The scans are not portraying the luster of the coins. This is normal for a flatbed scanner, so there's nothing you can do to correct this without switching to a camera. As a result, it is hard to tell if the surfaces are lustrous or dull, or if there is enough luster on the coins for an AU grade.

Also, the picture you have for the 96-O reverse is actually your 86-O.

The scans are not showing the color or luster AT ALL, I think these coins may have some nice toning and they all may be worth sending in, but would like to see some better pictures. And being a first submission from someone who looks like they are trying to learn the right way, I think these are all nice coins.

Nick

Thanks very much for catching my error on the 96 vs 86 reverse! Sharp eye! I did post the correct 96 O reverse in the orginal post.

I appreciate the time you guys take to help me. This age is something- Clear from the middle of nowhere out here in the desert I can show these coins to some real experts!

I appreciate the time you guys take to help me. This age is something- Clear from the middle of nowhere out here in the desert I can show these coins to some real experts!

I get what you are saying about the lustre, etc. You are all correct the scans don't capture it. I do have a camera and I will try and use it this evening. I am slightly e-challenged by all of this but if I plug along I seem to learn. I thought I would have this all conquered with my new scanner-

Well I got my "flips" and "Kointains" today I so am all about I'll tell you. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right- one step at a time-

I will repost what I posted in the GTG forum:

They all look AU to me. If there is luster present, these are probably moderately attractive. A scan tends to show a dull, flat looking coin, so I'm interpreting these images.

The 1886O is worth about $130.

1895O - $1200 (no, that's not a typo)

1896O - $150

1897O - $125

1903O - $350

As you can see, the 95O and 03O are worth submitting, the other three are not. The 95O in particular is a very desirable coin.

I messed up in my original post Re: the 1895-O. Physics is 100% correct as quoted!

Well OK I will try that. I might do it right now. I might try several others as well.

Did you look at my half dollar 17s Ob- I would like to know what you think about it. If Photobucket cooperates I will try and post tonight.