• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameo Franklin? Questions on a New Purchase.

42 posts in this topic

honestly, can someone here tell the difference between a cameo and a deep cameo/ultra cameo? If so, please explain and post pictures! I've seen some cameos that look as nice as some ultra cameos!

honestly, can someone here tell the difference between a cameo and a deep cameo/ultra cameo? If so, please explain and post pictures! I've seen some cameos that look as nice as some ultra cameos!

ell I stole these from ebay so the difference could be shown with a Franklin.

Cameo- The frost is there, but if you look at the Dcam it is a much thicker/deeper frost.

CameoFranklin.jpg

DcamFranklin.jpg

The official example for a deep / ultra cameo is supposed to be "Thick, unbroken frost". The fact is, there are pieces that you'll find in dcam/ucam holders that have less frost / contrast than coins in cameo holders. And there are some coins in non cameo holders that have much nicer contrast than coins I've seen in cameo holders! It's a hit or miss scenario here.

Yes, though I don't have any images to discuss the topic with.

A properly designated UCAM or DCAM is noticeably different than a coin only designated CAM.

Yes, though I don't have any images to discuss the topic with.

A properly designated UCAM or DCAM is noticeably different than a coin only designated CAM.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line.

There are a few 1959s here James....any luck on getting one? hm

jom

Robec sold me a cameo franklin that looked the same as a PCGS dcam when you put it side by side. Neither him nor I could tell the difference.
Exactly my point in one of my above statements. Part of it has to do with the graders, part of it with the coin, any day could make or break a deep cameo. Also, the standards have changed whether anyone wants to admit it or not. If you were to send in a currently certified coin in an older holder that you think might downgrade to a non cameo holder, most likely it would come back in the same holder at the same grade. But, crack that same coin and you'll find that same coin will come back in a non cameo holder.

Not to bash here, but the fact is, NGC was more lax some years ago on the cameo / ultra cameo designation. But, the tides have changed and now I feel that NGC is right on par with what PCGS is putting into their plastic. So, I guess really what I'm saying is, if you want a nice cameo, purchase a newer, pronged holder cameo or ultra cameo, and you'll end up saving a ton of money over PCGS plastic since no matter what you can see or what anyone tells you, people still will only drink the blue kool-aid.

Robec sold me a cameo franklin that looked the same as a PCGS dcam when you put it side by side. Neither him nor I could tell the difference.

Both coins were in holders of almost 20 years old. Both coins, in OGH's, were purchased at the same time in 1993, a 1962 PR68Cam and 1963 PR68DC.

Robec sent me both to look at and I stared carefully at the 62 pr68 cam vs the 63 pr68 dcam and honestly the 68 cam looked as good as the dcam with the amount of frost, etc! In fact I'd say the 68 cam looked better!