• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A killer coin - Link to:1880-S Morgan MS69 Prooflike PCGS. Ex: Bermuda.

18 posts in this topic

Looks like a great coin, no doubt, but...

I wouldn't grade it any higher than 68PL. There are more marks than I would expect on a 69, especially the scrape on the reverse and the hits in the field in front of her eye. I have no problem with the roller marks on her cheek at 68 - as struck issues should theoretically not preclude a very high grade. However, in practice they often do. Some feel that the eye appeal is negatively affected by things like roller marks, striations, die polish, or other mint-made imperfections.

I used to own it when it was Jack Lee.

While it is a terrific coin, I never fully agreed with the grade.

The famous Wayne Miller 78S should be the 69PL

Grading is subjective.

Grading is subjective.
While I agree that grading is subjective, I'm leaning more towards Laura's and Mr. Desk's opinion. There are way too many hits in the fields and that one large hit on the bonnet should have graded at max 67. Had someone showed this pictures on the Can You Spare a Grade section, I most likely wouldn't have gone any higher than 66 PL, maybe DMPL.

<<< While it is a terrific coin, I never fully agreed with the grade.

The famous Wayne Miller 78S should be the 69PL >>>

Yes, the Wayne Miller 78-S is the finest business strike Morgan I've ever seen, and I've seen nearly every Morgan dollar PCGS has graded MS69 in person.

Grading is subjective.
While I agree that grading is subjective, I'm leaning more towards Laura's and Mr. Desk's opinion. There are way too many hits in the fields and that one large hit on the bonnet should have graded at max 67. Had someone showed this pictures on the Can You Spare a Grade section, I most likely wouldn't have gone any higher than 66 PL, maybe DMPL.

While 69 is extremely generous, I think a 66 would be extremely harsh. That coin is extraordinarily clean, and is a very attractive coin. Its just not a 69.

Undergrading is just as much a problem as overgrading. We as collectors don't tend to think so as much, because if we buy an undergraded coin its a windfall for us. But it is just as much an error as an overgraded coin.

While 69 is extremely generous, I think a 66 would be extremely harsh. That coin is extraordinarily clean, and is a very attractive coin. Its just not a 69.

Undergrading is just as much a problem as overgrading. We as collectors don't tend to think so as much, because if we buy an undergraded coin its a windfall for us. But it is just as much an error as an overgraded coin.

I agree. It's another one of those coins where at 68, it's a slam-dunk, but at 69, it gives you cause to hesitate.

So, does that mean it's a 68+?

Going on a bit of a tangent, I suppose that a case could be made for 68+ for the subject coin. But then, we run into the problem where many Morgans graded 68 are surprisingly unattractive, and really only 67+s.

Personally, I think that these "super-grade" Morgans have been wrung through the grading system so many times that GRADEFLATION is the key issue. If PCGS could wave a magic wand and lower the grade of every single certified Morgan by 1/2 point, I would see that as a positive.

Very, very seldom do I see a Morgan graded at 67 or higher and think the coin is conservatively graded, or even appropriately so.

Thanks for your opinion. It's greatly appreciated by those of us folks that have questioned the grade.

The Finest Morgan Dollar Money Can Buy

Sheesh, how ignorant of Heritage to word it that way. I just noticed this little blurb, and whoever wrote it is full of granola. Regardless of the TPG grade, there is no question whatsoever that it isn't the finest Morgan dollar I've seen, in person or via digit photograph.

(Though at my financial level, this coin is one that my money CAN'T buy ;) . )

This coin is one of those that bring up the point that a small difference in grade shouldn't be worth multiple times money. I just think it's ludicrous what people will pay for the printed grade on a slab.

Now if the values were more linear then it would make some sense....however that probably isn't case....

jom