• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "what were they thinking" thread **for fun only**

17 posts in this topic

I thought it would be fun to do a "what were they thinking" thread. In this thread I would like to see people post images of coins you own that boggles the mind as to why it was ever encapsulated. I'm sure that this thread could become extremely entertaining and interesting to see what has made its way into a slab. Post a little information about the image if possible such as how you came to be the owner of such a mystery.

Have fun and enjoy.

-Chris#2

I recently bought a random group of slabed coins for a very low price, around $30 for a lot of 10 slabs. Most of them were graded G-4 (which would be pretty accurate) but there was one that I just couldn't understand why any company would encapsulate a "copy" coin that is 100 mils (just plated) in .999 silver.

DSCF0402.jpg

Just about everything in PCGS's ridiculous Everyman set category would fall under this thread.

Maybe Jason is referring to the same thing, but all of those PCGS "Lowball" sets are just outright dumb in my opinion. I don't get the benefit of wrapping plastic around a coin worth (in many cases) less than melt. I guess everyone finds a "sport" in something, even having the worst known certified example of a coin. :)

Brandon, those sets are ridiculous as well. I believe the Lowball sets are the ones where PR-1 FR-2 and AG-3 are the highest points. I understand these coins are uncommon and some people legitimately collect them, but I don't get it.

The Everyman sets are exclusively circulated (so AU-58 gets the most points). The problem then is people start slabbing true junk, like AU late date Wheaties. Normally, these are worth about 2-3 cents. But there have been numerous examples where these coins have sold for hundreds of dollars, just to go in these ridiculous sets.

i have one i bought about 4 years ago when i just got into the hobby.

only coin dealer i knew of in the area, at the time...I found out, about a month ago he ripped a 90 year old man off for a couple thousand in counterfeits!

Anyway, he told me it was worth $650 and i was getting a killer deal at $150!

At the time, i didnt know the rule of, "if its too good to be true, it probably is"!

I only keep it to remind myself of the scum thats out there!

Here it is.....

115540.jpg.28bc5c9dff2421123d7bdc44dbbff6de.jpg

115541.jpg.ab4d3214cc8536b4dc697b1a7cb9a3fc.jpg

i have one i bought about 4 years ago when i just got into the hobby.

only coin dealer i knew of in the area, at the time...I found out, about a month ago he ripped a 90 year old man off for a couple thousand in counterfeits!

Anyway, he told me it was worth $650 and i was getting a killer deal at $150!

At the time, i didnt know the rule of, "if its too good to be true, it probably is"!

I only keep it to remind myself of the scum thats out there!

Here it is.....

Ouch. I have a PCGS MS68 one of those that I got for $25 about 3 months ago.