• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Won What??-OOPS posted by Jackson

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

oops...

I received my invoice in the mail today from the recent auction. The auction that I mention was the pre-Long Beach auction by Goldbergs and it was held over several days. I watched the auction on the day that the US half dollars were auctioned and as I wrote in a prior journal-I was thrilled to find myself the winner of 2 of my 4 internet bids ( even though I missed my lots live bidding).

Well the next day of the auction was paper money I believe and then the final day was world coins and world gold. I remeber now looking at some of the world gold coins because I like the 20 Francs gold coins from France, austria, switzerland etc. These coins are around a quarter ounce of gold and the price is usually close to melt.

My casual perusal of 20 francs coins led me to a click on another "20" coin--this one a 20 soles coin from Peru. I pulled out my Krause and found that this 20 soles coin has quite a bit more gold weight than the 20 francs coins. Being infatuated with the high grade and beautiful design--I threw in a bid that was very close to melt price and then never gave it another thought.

When I checked my invoice today for the total--there was the Peru 20 soles coin on the list also !! I had won my bid. After the buyer's fee I paid a bit above melt ( gold will have to hit $2100 for me to be at melt value for my expense paid ratio) but the coin is gorgeous and makes me happy for its numismatic qualities and not just because iits adding a little more gold to my holdings. Graded by NGC as an MS67.. there are only 2 MS68's ever graded for the entire length of the series issue so it could be considered a condition rarity of sorts. I can definitely see why a collector before me felt this coin was worth paying the costs to have it encapsulated--and now it will be a well appreciated member of my collection.

9383.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

that is very nice

I put in some internet bids at various auction sites

for cool stuff that I would not mind owning at

my bid price - I don't win many, but usually am pleased when I do

Jackson that sure is a swell pick - up, I like it. I can tell that Gary is very pleased. Sure would fit in the Inspirational Ladies.

Rick

The Peruvian version of the Seated Liberty design in my "Inspirational ladies" set? You betcha! Lady Liberty, cap and pole, shield, and all! I'll have to put that coin or another like it on my radar screen.

Gary

I've never been a foriegn coin collector, but even I feel that is a beautiful coin. Very nice surprise for sure. Just hope you had already planed on that amount to spend on a coin so that you dont get caught between a rock and a hard place. That has happened to me before, I placed a bid on a coin and completely forgot I had placed the bid, then used that amount for a repair on the household. It was a complete mess, but the bank helped by not charging me the overdraft fee's.

chris

Thanks everyone

Gary, I actually did think of you and the "inspirational ladies" when I saw this design.

Chris1976, Your point is a good one. I wasn't going to mention it but the coin did put me in a pinch. Not really too bad but caused me some embarrassment. When I called to pay my invoice I had to actually ask them to put $500 of the cost on my credit card ( the rest paid with the debit card) because it would otherwise have been close to sapping my funds in checking out before payday Friday. It was a bit embarassing to ask them to go to the trouble of running 2 different cards and breaking up the cost ( they were exceedingly nice about it though-never any growls or grunts of disdain)

Also, I don't want to give the impressio that this is an ounce coin bought at $2100...this coin only weighs .28AGW or so..it is just that my bid was at the equivalent ratio of $2100 an ounce ( PS: the 20 francs coins weigh about .187 of an ounce of AGW--that's what I meant about a measurable weight difference in the soles vs francs 20 coins)