• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin restoration.... posted by cemonice

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

thoughts? feelings? experiences?

i have an AU details graded 1916 D mercury dime, by NGC.

it was suggested to me i get it restored. Is this something that is frowned upon? i really need some guidance because i DO think it would bring this coin back to life, if done by the right person. any suggestion? is restoration out of the question? good idea? picture enclosed...

thanks

nick

9382.JPG

See more journals by cemonice

IMHO, if it were possible to restore this coin in a way that makes it eligible for a full grade in a regular holder, I would do it. However, there is no way that can occur with this coin. If you want this coin conserved and placed back in a details grade holder then the ONLY recommendation I have to offer is to submit it to NCS. I have used NCS in the past and they do an excellent job. I have had coins with environmental damage and carbon spots that they have restored and placed in regular holders. They, nor anyone else for that matter can or should repair surface damage on a coin like that of your 1916-D dime. You have a very nice and valuable dime as it is and I don't think there is much you can do to enhance that value. This leaves it as a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend for that preference. If it were me, I'd leave it just the way it is. In fact I would prefer yours over the full grade AG-03 1916-D dime that I own! BTW, yours is worth much more than mine!

Gary hm

Hello, I think it would be absolutely beneficial to send this coin to NCS

If the coin means a lot to you, send it in. NCS can not help the coin as far as metal damage, but the coin would be much nicer to look at.

Also, if the coin were to be marketed, the buyer would be much more likely to pay more if that person saw he or she was going to get a clean coin.

shoot. i should have done that before i had it certified then huh? now i would have to pay twice!

gherrmann44. thanks for the confidence. i have been trying to sell it and maybe it would be worth it to send it to NCS. the reverse has alot of detail that i really like! if it werent for that front, it would be awesoe, i think.

115517.jpg.491c0a8c30ef1c54f6a279a14814a189.jpg

I sort of agree with Gary - why spend the extra money on a coin that already has an issue that can't be resolved. I agree this is a beauty!! If it were me I would leave it in the details holder. It's a rare dime in it's own right and much rarer in this grade, even though it is details... The details grading means far less with rare coins, as opposed to moderns or plentiful examples. Just my two cents!! Todd

I would leave it as is. I, and lots of collectors I know, would rather have a coin with "honest" toning like this one than a bright, shiny coin that has been "restored". NCS can remove the toning, but they can't fix the obverse damage.

Gary's nailed it. Leave it be, it looks fine and NCS cannot help with the obverse damage. Your dime is still worth a load of money. Count yourself among the lucky owners of a very nice Merc.

I would leave it as is. I, and lots of collectors I know, would rather have a coin with "honest" toning like this one than a bright, shiny coin that has been "restored". NCS can remove the toning, but they can't fix the obverse damage.

I agree..I think the color and natural toning are attractive..plus, if this coin is cleaned I beleieve that it will only accentuate the obverse damage--since the dark damage ring will stand out even more from shiny bright surfaces.

Please don't have this coin cleaned-- as it is I would enjoy owning it at the right price..if it were cleaned then I would not give it a second glance...

The going back and forth on this issue has been very interesting, but beware, sometimes conservation can do more harm than good. There is only one coin I submitted for conservation that I regretted sending. I have a 1903-S Philippine Administration peso that had gunmetal toning with large carbon deposits. I thought to have it conserved to remove the deposits because I didn't think that it would get a full grade. What I didn't realize is that to remove the carbon deposits you also had to remove the gunmetal patina. When the coin came back as a full grade AU-53 it was literally covered with hairlines to the point that it almost made the coin look ugly. In a case of "be careful what you ask for, you might get it", the toning on the coin before conservation served to hide the hairlines and was much nicer to look at, carbon spots and all. Granted, this coin is much larger than your dime, but you do not know for sure whether conservation will enhance the appearance of your coin or not. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for the best.

Gary (thumbs u

thanks to everyone for their input. These chat boards have been soo helpful in just the last 2 months i have been a member! Its nice to have people to go to for non-bias opinions since i dont have many around where i live!

Nick

I would love for you to send in this example too see how good of a job NCS can do. We see the as now pictures, I bet they can make this thing look amazing and in the long run on a coin like this I think the restoration will pay off. Keep us posted

unfortunately for the coin, there is nothing that NCS can do to remove the circular mark on the obverse, but they could remove the brown "toning". But in all honesty, I'd leave it how it is. It's still better than alot of people have as it is an origional rare coin. That in itself is worth holding onto.

locating a coin "restoration" company will only ruin an origional coin. I highly advise against this action.

-Chris#2