• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any opinions on this SLQ ?

48 posts in this topic

99967c3f.jpg

3847765b.jpg

Any idea what this coin is graded ?

Do you feel that the toning is Natural ?

Or, do you feel it is Artifical Color,

and if you do, please explain your reasoning.

Thanks !!

The color looks unquestionably natural to me.

My grade guess is MS65 (at a minimum), not FH. But the very large image might be throwing me off.

I sure like the overall look to it.

I don't know on the grade. MS65 non-FH or so.

The strike is very good overall. You can even see the right side rivets and a strong "1919".

The color looks NT. Reason: the fields in many places don't have the same color as the immediately surrounding devices. An example would be "We Trust" or the stars on the right side reverse out in front of the eagle.

Looks like a great one!

jom

The marks on the face would make me pass on it if i was building a set and that is the only example i was to have for the date and MM. My guess on the grade is MS64+ and i do feel overall it is an attractive example.

Very nice. Natural good looks. Quite pleasant, really.

The hits to the head are unfortunate, as is the ding in the reverse left field, but otherwise what's not to like?

I think 65 is a fair grade.

Lance.

(edited to remove question about strike. I'm guessing the '19-S is a little soft.)

The toning looks good to me. I think the two hits on the legs and and the abrasion on the head knock it out of gem category......I like it as a 64.
We're looking at a giant image that is greatly magnifying the flaws. While there might be other flaws (or rub) we can't see, those, alone, should not knock the coin down to a 64. I have seen such flaws on MS66 examples.

The toning looks good to me. I think the two hits on the legs and and the abrasion on the head knock it out of gem category......I like it as a 64.
We're looking at a giant image that is greatly magnifying the flaws. While there might be other flaws (or rub) we can't see, those, alone, should not knock the coin down to a 64. I have seen such flaws on MS66 examples.

Then there is the luster...the photo MAY not show that accurately. I think Luster, Color and "perspective" are the main factors when considering a photo as a grading tool. Hits and strike are easily represented on a photo although you CAN hide hairlines if you aim the light in a certain direction. It is very difficult to grade with a photo.

I was a bit off on the rivets...they are a tad weak. However, you can see the TOES...not always well struck.

jom

The coin has the look of an MS-65, full head, BUT the gray sheet bid jumps from $3,000 in MS-65 to $25,000 in MS-65, full head.

That price jump makes graders skittish. If this were a 1930 Standing Liberty quarter, it would probably be an MS-65, Full Head. Given that it is an expensive coin in MS-65, Full Head, I see it going MS-65 with a few crack-outs in its future.

From a technical standpoint I guess it just misses the full head because you can't see an ear hole. It might have had an ear hole when it was struck, and now a mark as closed it. If that’s true, this coin could go down to MS-64 because the grader is always drawn to that spot of the coin.

From a practical standpoint, it might be among the best known examples of this date and mint mark combination.

So, we're all on the same page, then. The coin has Natural Toning.

No one said it was Artifical Color. We all agree that the coin was

toned naturally and not juiced. Correct ? !!

The strike is what it is; the hit on the face/neck area is what it is.

I like the coin alot. Seems all of you like it to one degree or another.

If you refuse to pay FH prices on key dates [ like I do ] then I look

for coins that have great head deatil with out the FH price.

Thanks for the grade opinions - I know the NGC grade - but will hold off

announcing it for the time being.

For what its worth - I think my good friend Broadstruck may want

to chime in soon and discuss the coin even further with us.

Thanks again, everyone for your thoughts.

The coin has the look of an MS-65, full head, BUT the gray sheet bid jumps from $3,000 in MS-65 to $25,000 in MS-65, full head.

That price jump makes graders skittish. If this were a 1930 Standing Liberty quarter, it would probably be an MS-65, Full Head. Given that it is an expensive coin in MS-65, Full Head, I see it going MS-65 with a few crack-outs in its future.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see how it could get a full head designation with only half of the head still present...it's an unfortunate smashed/scraped look. Otherwise the coin is stellar, and absolutely beautifully toned. (thumbs u

The OP's coin looks like a 65, and like Tom I'm not sure about the color (looks like it could be natural, but looks like it might not). Either way, its MA.

It certainly doesn't have a FH. That whole designation doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

My guess is that the grade is MS-65 FH, but I am not too excited by aesthetically. And if it is FH designated, I sure as blazes wouldn't pay "all the money", since the overall strike is blah.

It IS possible to find this particular issue extremely well struck, given patience. Now, 1930-S on the other hand....

No ear hole, that's the requirement for the official FH right? When I first looked at it, I was thinking the strike was rather strong... which made me wonder why it wasn't FH, but it looks like it was damaged in some sort of way which ruined it's shot for FH, at least for me. And, for those same reason, I'd mark it down to 64. But I think the color is natural, not the most beautiful toning I've ever seen, but not unpleasant either. I like the coin overall.

I'm at 65 maybe 66, no FH. When you reduce the size of the image the mark on the head just looks like part of the toning. I would think the grader would see that mark for what it is and not give it FH. I'm sure the services have rules to follow on this. I guess it's possible they could say it's still FH and the mark is not a factor.

It's a great looking coin to me.

That isn't a FH SLQ. It "may" have been struck that way but the hit makes that questionable at least. This would be similar to a "FB" Merc with a hit on the bands.

jom

Any idea what this coin is graded ?

Do you feel that the toning is Natural ?

Or, do you feel it is Artifical Color,

and if you do, please explain your reasoning.

Thanks !!

I feel the coin is well struck with just a tad weakness in the shield "round gezmos" I would think an MS-65 grade would be in order.

The toning is appealing and completely natural.

Lovely piece....Joe

At the moment - all I'll say is that the coin

does NOT have a FH designation.

The hit on the head took off all the detail.

The owner - who is a friend of mine - had

me send the coin in for cross over ATS.

He and I are the only ones who know the

grade. [ edit: also Messydesk who imaged the coin ]

I am still waiting for him to chime in and discuss the

coin - its a great coin, IMHO.

The super large images are too much and make me focus on distractions I would probably not be able to see.

MS 65 in my book or a "one upper"

I like the coin

OP

The super large images are too much and make me focus on distractions I would probably not be able to see.

MS 65 in my book or a "one upper"

I like the coin

OP

I had the same problem. I resized the photos for my own viewing, so I'll also post a resized version here. The super-large photos are cool, but really are hard to assess for eye-appeal.

I love the looks of this SLQ. The luster is booming and other than the left shield rivets, I find the detail attractive and sharp. The toning is not distracting, and is quite pleasant, IMO.

115533.jpg.6f8c788e8cc52118218feb664948c9ed.jpg