• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whereabouts of a coin I used to own...1945-P Dime MS68

26 posts in this topic

I've always kinda wanted to ask this although it's probably futile.

I bought a wildly toned 1945-P Dime in an NGC MS68 years ago at a Santa Clara show. I don't have access to the NGC database but for a long time it was the only 45-P MS68 (not FB).

I'm just wondering if anyone happens to own it now. No, I'm not really interested in purchasing it. I was just curious to see if anyone knew about. It is rather unique looking and I'd probably recognize it if I saw it. That's assuming it hasn't changed in the holder...who knows it could have been AT...I dunno. It was rather wild.

I bought the coin in 1994 from Renrob (Bob Rose) in 1994 and sold it about 3 years later through Julian Leidman (I lost money...typical!). However, the recent murder of a coin dealer back east reminded me of what happened to Bob. He was killed also (execution style) while being robbed at his shop in New Jersey. They caught the killer and he was on death row the last I heard...I don't know if the threw the switch yet...they should have years ago.

Anyway, if anyone knows about this...let me know...and post a picture if you can!

jom

EDIT: Edit title for more detail.

Thanks!

No...that definitely is NOT the piece. I also didn't know there have been more graded. There was only one the last time I was able to check the NGC census. I don't remember when that was though...5+ years ago I'd guess...or more.

Maybe it was one with this "bank dime savers" (whatever that is). What I remember of the coin was that it's toning was "wild". I also believe Bob told me HE had sent the coin into NGC but I don't remember where he got it. I also remember the coin had a lot of die polishing...typical for the date....and the bands were poor as usual....

My guess was that the coin was certified in 1993 or 1994. I don't know slab styles at all so I'm not certain what that would look like. Of course, the coin could have been cracked and sent to PCGS or who knows where.

jom

There are now five listed as 1945-P MS68. But the one that e1cnr found does have a pretty low NGC number.

The NGC serial numbers mean relatively little as they mirror the invoice number of the submission form. It is not unheard of for a collector or dealer to have a stockpile of these, submitting the coin months (or much longer) after the fact. As such, a form with a low serial number could have been submitted much, much later.

I knew Bob and remember him being killed. Makes no sense. Regardless, those "Save-a-Dime" holder 1945 Mercs that NGC certified way back when were pretty high in number and average grade with a distinctive toning pattern.

There are now five listed as 1945-P MS68. But the one that e1cnr found does have a pretty low NGC number.

The NGC serial numbers mean relatively little as they mirror the invoice number of the submission form. It is not unheard of for a collector or dealer to have a stockpile of these, submitting the coin months (or much longer) after the fact. As such, a form with a low serial number could have been submitted much, much later.

While this is strictly true, there is some utility in gauging age based on 6 digit versus 7 digit serial numbers. It's rough, and non-exact, but it's still useful.

Given that the coin shown has a bar code, and has a line dividing the label from the coin, it would have been slabbed sometime after 1995-1996 (according to Conder101's post). Unfortunately, in the picture, Teletrade has put their garbage over the hologram, so I can't tell if it's the older or more recent version. Well, and the obvious fact that it's not what I would call "wildly" toned like Jom noted...

I knew Bob and remember him being killed. Makes no sense. Regardless, those "Save-a-Dime" holder 1945 Mercs that NGC certified way back when were pretty high in number and average grade with a distinctive toning pattern.

Well, if you have a photo of an example I could at least note whether my old coin had some resemblance to these "save a dime" coins....

jom

JimBucks thread about MS68 Mercs reminded me of this old thread from last year. I just thought I'd bring up in case someone might have seen this coin or own it.

Like I said above it's probably futile but it's kind of fun to see if I could track it down. Besides I got to thinking about Bob Rose again (nice guy) so what the heck....

jom

Yes, that could be it. Not only your description but where you got it. I sold it through Julian so it is highly possible it got to Whitlow (since another Merc I had on consignment to JL I know went to LW).

Do you have a photo? I never took one of mine as it was before I bought my Nikon coolpix in 1999 or so.

jom

I have a phobia about mailing coins in my sets. You can get $$$ if they are lost, but you cannot replace the coin. I'll bring it to FUN, seek a photo, then reopen a post.

If you really like mercs, I probably have the prettiest toned short set around. All rainbow coins, 2 x MS 69, a bunch of 68s, and the rest in 67. Actually the short set has better color than my roosie registry set. Took 20+ years to assemble it.

I have a phobia about mailing coins in my sets. You can get $$$ if they are lost, but you cannot replace the coin. I'll bring it to FUN, seek a photo, then reopen a post.

If you really like mercs, I probably have the prettiest toned short set around. All rainbow coins, 2 x MS 69, a bunch of 68s, and the rest in 67. Actually the short set has better color than my roosie registry set. Took 20+ years to assemble it.

I am interested in the MS-68 and MS-69's if they may be for sale. I know this is not the correct thread to purchase, but I am only expressing an interest.

Thank You.

Yep...that's true. The dollars sometimes isn't worth all the time you took to assemble the set.

Yeah, take it on down to FUN...I'm sure there'll be someone down there taking photos. A lot of guys are doing that now. Besides, if you are paranoid about losing your coins what better way than to at least have photos of them?

jom

"I am interested in the MS-68 and MS-69's if they may be for sale. I know this is not the correct thread to purchase, but I am only expressing an interest."

Everything I have is for sale --- my daughter will sell it 15 minutes after she buries me...

"I am interested in the MS-68 and MS-69's if they may be for sale. I know this is not the correct thread to purchase, but I am only expressing an interest."

Everything I have is for sale --- my daughter will sell it 15 minutes after she buries me...

20 years to acquire and 15 minutes to liquidate.

Ahhh....you have just hit upon my worst fear. No other budding collectors in my family and a wife who doesn't really care about my collection. I have been trying to round up resources to help her with liquidation of my collection recently.... I hope I have it covered..... Just yesterday she shows up in my office where I am looking at my recently acquired Ft. Vancouver commemorative, which is ungraded and currently in a 2x2 flip. She says "what's that?" I explain the coin, history, lower mintages, etc... She then says "so if you're gone, I can spend it as a half dollar?".....I nearly died right there and then....

Mine are already looking for buyers.....haha

Ahhh....you have just hit upon my worst fear. No other budding collectors in my family and a wife who doesn't really care about my collection. I have been trying to round up resources to help her with liquidation of my collection recently.... I hope I have it covered..... Just yesterday she shows up in my office where I am looking at my recently acquired Ft. Vancouver commemorative, which is ungraded and currently in a 2x2 flip. She says "what's that?" I explain the coin, history, lower mintages, etc... She then says "so if you're gone, I can spend it as a half dollar?".....I nearly died right there and then....

I always hope I'm at the bank at the right time for situations like this.. where the little old lady turns in rolls of coins and the teller says she has all these funny looking coins....