• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed with Heritage (re-titled)

91 posts in this topic

Here is is

Unacceptable (the hologram issue).

Note that the op PAID A PREMIUM FOR THE HOLDER. Now the holder is basically junk.

Isn't the sticker just used by heritage to mark a lot# or so? I don't see why they just couldn't stick it around the edges of the slab. Or if possible, make a smaller sticker that would fit elsewhere better.

That's a great idea, I like it. It's a sticker that as far as I'm concerned does not even need to be there, at all.....Joe

That is until they ship you the wrong coin because someone misread the cert number.........

Well, ranting and raving unfairly????

Inaccurate??? State a single thing that you claim is "inaccurate"....just 1.

That's a bit extreme and really not called for on your part.

I am just trying to debate a point of view and exercise freedom of speech....whether one agrees or disagrees is fine, isn't that why forums like this exist?

First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT????

I just can decline to do business with them in the future until they get it together.

Thank You

BTW, I respect Mr. Feld -- we only disagree when he is wrong.

You initially stated that the stickers aren't on the holders during lot viewing.

That was incorrect.

You said "Still waiting for someone to claim responsibility. I doubt no one will step up"

That was unfair, since Heritage was probably unaware of this thread.

You wrote "Why did the ruin my coin?"

They didn't ruin your coin.

You wrote: "..only to be defeated by heritage sticking their unwanted junk on top of it for no reason."

They obviously do have a reason, even if you disagree with it.

You wrote "First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever. "

There certainly is a reason for you to contact them, at least if you trulyy care about this issue about which you have been ranting.

You also blamed Heritage for the package having been left at your door without a signature. That might or might not have been their fault, or that of the postal worker. That was unfair.

He also wrote that Teletrade does not do this when in fact they do.

It sounds to me like a "first time buyer".

Here is is

Unacceptable (the hologram issue).

Note that the op PAID A PREMIUM FOR THE HOLDER. Now the holder is basically junk.

Heritage wasn't auctioning the holder, just the coin.

"Description:1842 H10C MS64 NGC. NGC Census: (46/26). PCGS Population (38/12). Mintage: 815,000. Numismedia Wsl. Price for problem free NGC/PCGS coin in MS64: $550. (#4330)(Registry values: N991) (#4330)"

"Description:1842 H10C MS64 NGC. NGC Census: (46/26). PCGS Population (38/12). Mintage: 815,000. Numismedia Wsl. Price for problem free NGC/PCGS coin in MS64: $550. (#4330)(Registry values: N991) (#4330)"

Are you serious? Obviously, Heritage was selling both the coin and the slab as evidenced by the fact that they mention NGC as part of the grade in their lot description.

I find it annoying when the hologram is damaged too. But I sigh and move on.

Back to the nature of the stickers...I don't see why Heritage can't have stickers made using the same adhesive as Post-It notes. Static-cling vinyl (ink jet printable) is an option but there might be some failures that would make them unacceptable.

This really shouldn't be a difficult adjustment for the auction houses to make. Someone needs to make a lot of noise about it. Any idea who?

Lance.

I find it annoying when the hologram is damaged too. But I sigh and move on.

Back to the nature of the stickers...I don't see why Heritage can't have stickers made using the same adhesive as Post-It notes. Static-cling vinyl (ink jet printable) is an option but there might be some failures that would make them unacceptable.

This really shouldn't be a difficult adjustment for the auction houses to make. Someone needs to make a lot of noise about it. Any idea who?

Lance.

Ordinarily, I would have the perfect candidate. But he has already stated :

"First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever. "

;)

This happened to me ONCE and Heritage refused to issue me a refund. They say that THEY MUST label coins for cataloging purposes (obviously!) and they offered to give me 5 bucks to have my coin re-holdered. This is little satisfaction for a vintage slab. I kept the coin, b/c I really liked it and have yet to reholder it. I am now, extremely careful when removing the sticker (sometimes it's of little help, because they can come off anyway.) Luckily it was an isolated incident for me. I was NOT PLEASED and my slab was older but NOT as collectible as yours.

First off, it's common knowledge that the hologram stickers on old NGC and PCGS Slabs comes off rather easily.

If it's common knowledge, why did Heritage screw up by putting the sticker on the hologram? I hate to see these old holders get ruined like that. Heritage screwed up and you should return it for a full refund unless you can live with it the way it is. Another option is to get it reslabbed if you really like the coin because it'll bother you every time you look at the old slab and see the hologram has been ripped off.

I agree, but at the same time, have you never purchased a coin from Heritage before? If so, you should have known that they would place the obnoxious stickers there. I don't particularly like it anymore than you do (and I use alcohol and a swab to remove the glue residue), but I understand that the labels have their purpose.

Are you serious? Obviously, Heritage was selling both the coin and the slab as evidenced by the fact that they mention NGC as part of the grade in their lot description.

Uhhhh................they also mention PCGS.

They're selling a professionally graded coin and appropriately mentioning who that Professional Grading organization is.

No where do they say "Hey, you might want to bid on the premium that this old holder is going to bring! ;) "

Beside, judging from the hammer price, I'm just not seeing any premium paid for the coin. Other than the short hammer price that is.

They post images of the coin, which is what those of us that can not view the coin in hand have only to work with and assume what we see is what we get.....not just descriptions.

Thank you.

CoinRaritiesOnline also stickers the back of the slab, but theirs come off easily without any damage to the label and the hologram. They should give their supplier information to Heritage. Easy to peel stickers would address the concerns of everyone in this thread.

Just thought I would put a link here to the other thread the OP started ranting on that parallels this one, just in case you missed it........

Two Rant Threads

I find this ridiculous. One was too many to start with as the OP is trying to find a scape goat for his own mistakes in how he removed the sticker.

Just thought I would put a link here to the other thread the OP started ranting on that parallels this one, just in case you missed it........

Two Rant Threads

I find this ridiculous. One was too many to start with as the OP is trying to find a scape goat for his own mistakes in how he removed the sticker.

doh!

I need to add one thing about this Heritage/sticker discussion. When this happened to me, it was in 2005 (hologram ripped off by sticker). It was done AT HERITAGE, b/c slab came with hologram damaged and sticker already ripped off. NOW, since then, they let the buyer remove the stickers and, since then, I have carefully removed ALL of my stickers w/o any problems or issues.

I got out my glue-gun and re-applied the sticker. Then glued my own sticker over the whole thing. Dipped in hot wax. Then put shallack over it. I'll let the next buyer figure it out!

Thank You.

I got out my glue-gun and re-applied the sticker. Then glued my own sticker over the whole thing. Dipped in hot wax. Then put shallack over it. I'll let the next buyer figure it out!

Thank You.

I hope your joking about the shellac. You might as well reholder it.

I love Heritage and am one of their biggest proponents. However, my $1400 coin arrived from them today (USPS delivery confirmation). This coin is easily worth even more. The postman just rang the bell and left it between the screen door! All I can say is---"I'm Glad that I was home!!!" This is obviously not a good idea and makes me uneasy. It easily leaves the door open (quite literally) to theft!! No signature required or even any other type of acceptance verification of any kind. It is what it is. Just being honest. :(

On a good note the sticker was left on and I took it off, myself, with NO DAMAGE to the hologram, whatsoever. This is the exact SAME generation (or number slab) as the one that came to me with the hologram torn off on a different coin in 2005 and I was quite ticked off! You'll have no problem if you peel it off SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. Ripping it off like a bandaid rips that hologram off just like a scab! :)

I thought you had to be 18 to join these boards. doh!

You enjoy insulting people you don't know?

You were acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum. If you would like me to provide examples, I will.

I have received coins from Heritage, Teletrade, David Lawrence etc. all of which have Auction ID stickers placed over the TPG back label. And in truth, I've damaged 2 labels in the process of removing the Auction ID sticker. I later found that if I removed the sticker slowly, damage was avoided. In a few cases with older holders, I found that using Goof Off softened the label and adhesive and allowed me to remove the Auction sticker without further damage to the TPG back sticker. Not a guaranteed method. Up to you to determine if this method will work for you.

Regarding pachages being left by the Post Office without being signed for---2 steps, contact Heritage Customer Service and request that all auction purchases be sent with Signature Confirmation, then contact your local Post Office and specify that only you or a specified agent are allowed to accept delivery of Signature Confirmation packages. You can also have coins shipped FedEx with Signature Requested.

Regarding when auction stickers are applied, I contacted Heritage Customer Service this afternoon. Coins are received, and Auction ID sticker is generated. Coin and sticker are placed in a clear envelope. Coin and holder are reviewed to insure no tampering is present. Coin is imaged and Auction ID sticker is applied. T

Regarding the type of sticker being used. Continual monitoring and security of the auction item is paramount. A sticker which is easily removed is a security problem. If you have ever been to a pre auction screening you know that at any one time there may be dozens of buyers viewing coins in the screening area. An ID sticker that can be easily removed or switched would be a security nightmare.

When I contacted Heritage Customer Service, I explained the reason for my call and described the thread on this forum. No names were used, just a description of the topic/s being discussed. Heritage Customer Service requested that I relay to you their request that you contact them regarding any issues you may have with your purchase. Heritage Customer Service 866-835-3243

Carl

I love Heritage and am one of their biggest proponents. However, my $1400 coin arrived from them today (USPS delivery confirmation). This coin is easily worth even more. The postman just rang the bell and left it between the screen door! All I can say is---"I'm Glad that I was home!!!" This is obviously not a good idea and makes me uneasy. It easily leaves the door open (quite literally) to theft!! No signature required or even any other type of acceptance verification of any kind. It is what it is. Just being honest. :(

On a good note the sticker was left on and I took it off, myself, with NO DAMAGE to the hologram, whatsoever. This is the exact SAME generation (or number slab) as the one that came to me with the hologram torn off on a different coin in 2005 and I was quite ticked off! You'll have no problem if you peel it off SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. Ripping it off like a bandaid rips that hologram off just like a scab! :)

Lucky for you it made it to your home and not someone elses. That's why I cant for the life of me understand why someone would ship items that cost decent amounts of money with no real gaurentee that it will actually make it to the intended person. Instead they choose to ship "delivery confirmation" which as I stated before, does not require any signature or anything to say it made it to who it was supposed to, its just a bar code that gets scanned and left in the mail box or on the front steps where anyone could come by and walk off with it. Meanwhile, simply because the postal office claims it was delivered to the correct person since they scanned the bar code, the shipper does not have to do anything at all since they have "proof" that it was delivered.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but it really is something everyone needs to think about when shipping or receiving coins. Delivery Confirmation just means they scanned the bar code, not that it actually made it to the correct person.

-Chris#2

I have received coins from Heritage, Teletrade, David Lawrence etc. all of which have Auction ID stickers placed over the TPG back label. And in truth, I've damaged 2 labels in the process of removing the Auction ID sticker. I later found that if I removed the sticker slowly, damage was avoided. In a few cases with older holders, I found that using Goof Off softened the label and adhesive and allowed me to remove the Auction sticker without further damage to the TPG back sticker. Not a guaranteed method. Up to you to determine if this method will work for you.

Regarding pachages being left by the Post Office without being signed for---2 steps, contact Heritage Customer Service and request that all auction purchases be sent with Signature Confirmation, then contact your local Post Office and specify that only you or a specified agent are allowed to accept delivery of Signature Confirmation packages. You can also have coins shipped FedEx with Signature Requested.

Regarding when auction stickers are applied, I contacted Heritage Customer Service this afternoon. Coins are received, and Auction ID sticker is generated. Coin and sticker are placed in a clear envelope. Coin and holder are reviewed to insure no tampering is present. Coin is imaged and Auction ID sticker is applied. T

Regarding the type of sticker being used. Continual monitoring and security of the auction item is paramount. A sticker which is easily removed is a security problem. If you have ever been to a pre auction screening you know that at any one time there may be dozens of buyers viewing coins in the screening area. An ID sticker that can be easily removed or switched would be a security nightmare.

When I contacted Heritage Customer Service, I explained the reason for my call and described the thread on this forum. No names were used, just a description of the topic/s being discussed. Heritage Customer Service requested that I relay to you their request that you contact them regarding any issues you may have with your purchase. Heritage Customer Service 866-835-3243

Carl

Well done Carl,that is very informative. Like I said earlier in this thread or the other one jimbucks generated on this topic, Heritage is good people and want to help. It is in their best interests to do so obviously.

To all, you can't control what the post-office does when delivering to your door, get a PO Box at a UPS store or elsewhere and alleviate the problem.

Best, HT

First off I have to defend the Post Office, if individuals and companies would learn how to properly package things, most boxes would not get smashed. In order to save a couple bucks they throw in some paper fillings to protect the coin, this will not stop a heavier package from doing damage to your package. Unless the box is tightly packaged on the inside there is room for the box to be compromised. Secondly, the Post Office is only required to place the package in a secure area, behind the screen door is considered just as secure as your mailbox. Either is easily accessable by someone, so there in not a decrease of protection for you. I usually write a note saying "package is ......." , then place with mail so the customer knows to look. Also the Post Office does not know what is in the package, if a signature is not requested, why would they ask for one? This is an issue for the MAILER to correct, also you could go to the Post Office with a letter stating to leave a notice for any parcel, in other words don't deliver them, you will come in to pick them up. Hope this has helped you in some way. Mailman........

First off I have to defend the Post Office, if individuals and companies would learn how to properly package things, most boxes would not get smashed. In order to save a couple bucks they throw in some paper fillings to protect the coin, this will not stop a heavier package from doing damage to your package. Unless the box is tightly packaged on the inside there is room for the box to be compromised. Secondly, the Post Office is only required to place the package in a secure area, behind the screen door is considered just as secure as your mailbox. Either is easily accessable by someone, so there in not a decrease of protection for you. I usually write a note saying "package is ......." , then place with mail so the customer knows to look. Also the Post Office does not know what is in the package, if a signature is not requested, why would they ask for one? This is an issue for the MAILER to correct, also you could go to the Post Office with a letter stating to leave a notice for any parcel, in other words don't deliver them, you will come in to pick them up. Hope this has helped you in some way. Mailman........

I sure wish that would be how they handle packages in my area, the postal worker here just lays it beside the mailbox. Just inches away from a narrow road on the inside bend of a tight corner. I understand that is not the typical treatment of packages, but after making several complaints in person at the local office and numerous phone calls to the local postmaster, it still continues. The only time the postal worker in this area leaves any form of information that we had recieved a package is only when a signature is required that had attempted to be delivered while we were away from home. This is why I always tell the shipper of my coins and coin supplies to send it signature required or I would not place an order with them. Again I know this is not the typical procedures, I am glad you take better pride in your work, and I know its a bit off topic from the OP. I appologize for the off topic subject matter in my posting.

-Chris#2